- 6 Social Security Offices In Houston To Help You With Benefits
- Houston Social Security Offices
- 6 Online Benefits You Can Apply For At The Social Security Website
- 1.) Request A Replacement Social Security Card
- 2.) Apply For Supplemental Security Income Benefits (SSI) Online
- 3.) Apply For Disability Benefits Online At Social Security (SSDI)
- 4.) Apply For Retirement Benefits Online At Social Security
- 5.) Apply For Medicare Online
- 6.) Appeal A Social Security Denial Online
- Houston Social Security Office Hours Of Operation
- How To Make An Appointment At A Houston Social Security Office
- How To Make A Social Security Appointment During The COVID 19 Pandemic
- What Is The Houston Social Security Office Phone Number?
6 Social Security Offices In Houston To Help You With Benefits
In this guide, I will point out 6 Social Security offices in Houston that can answer your questions about many benefits programs.
Your local Social Security office is the place you want to contact if you need help with government benefits like:
- Applying for a Social Security number
- Replacing your Social Security card
- Applying for Medicare
- Trying to file for disability if you are unable to work
- Apply for Social Security retirement benefits
- And more
One thing that you should know is the COVID 19 pandemic has stopped most in-person appointments at Social Security offices in Houston. You can however schedule an in-person appointment if you have an urgent situation that cannot be resolved over the phone. We will discuss reasons why Social Security would grant you an in-person visit during the COVID 19 pandemic later in this article.
Keep reading to learn more about where you can find a Social Security office in Houston as well as what benefits programs they manage.
Houston Social Security Offices
Below is a listing of Social Security offices in Houston. These offices can help you apply for benefits or answer questions regarding any of the programs that they manage like Social Security, Medicare, disability benefits, and more.
- Pasadena Texas Social Security Office – 3300 Watters Rd, Pasadena, TX 77504 – (866) 563-4603
- 610 South Loop Houston Social Security Office – 8989 Lakes at 610 Dr, Houston, TX 77054 – (866) 404-1861
- Northeast Houston Social Security Office – 5414 Aldine Mail Rte Rd, Houston, TX 77039 – (866) 931-2729
- Southwest Houston Social Security Office – 10703 Stancliff Rd, Houston, TX 77099 – (866) 592-1608
- 290 Houston Social Security Office – 16200 Dillard Dr, Houston, TX 77040 – (866) 331-3277
- League City Social Security Office – 2835 Gulf Fwy S, League City, TX 77573 – (866) 299-3254
- Conroe Social Security Office – 600 Sgt Ed Holcomb Blvd N, Conroe, TX 77304 – 866-614-0032
- Beaumont Social Security Office – 8455 Dishman Rd, Beaumont, TX 77713 – 866-613-2864
- Angleton Social Security Office – 2921 N Valderas St, Angleton, TX 77515 – 866-338-2940
6 Online Benefits You Can Apply For At The Social Security Website
These are 6 different government benefit programs that you can manage by simply visiting the Social Security website. If you are somewhat computer savvy and want to avoid making a trip to your local Houston Social Security office, you can apply/manage the following Social Security programs on your computer.
- Request a replacement Social Security Card
- Apply for SSI Benefits
- Also, you can apply for SSDI Benefits
- You can apply for Social Security retirement benefits
- Apply for Medicare
- Appeal a Social Security denial
Keep reading and we will explain more about each of the above services.
1.) Request A Replacement Social Security Card
You do not need to visit a Social Security office to get a replacement SS card. You can do this as well as apply for a Social Security card or change your name on your card by going online to the Social Security website.
2.) Apply For Supplemental Security Income Benefits (SSI) Online
The first Social Security benefit that you can manage online is SSI benefits. You can perform the following service on the Social Security website:
- Apply for SSI benefits
- Pay an overpayment of SSI benefits
- Print proof of benefits document
Supplemental Security Income (SSI) is a federal government program that provides monthly payments to persons with disabilities or blindness who have income and resources below specific thresholds. SSI checks are also available to individuals over the age of 65 without disabilities who fulfill the financial requirements.
The general eligibility requirements for SSI are:
- 65 years or older
- Blind or have a disability
- You have limited income. If the things you own are less than $2,000 as an individual or $3,000 as a couple you could qualify for an SSI check.
- You are either a US citizen, national of the US, or even some noncitizens qualify
- Live in one of the 50 US states, Washington DC, or Northern Marina Islands
To visit the Social Security website to apply for SSI or learn more about qualifications and payment amounts.
3.) Apply For Disability Benefits Online At Social Security (SSDI)
You can also apply for Social Security Disability benefits online. These are also known as SSDI.
SSDI is a benefit that you may qualify for if:
- You have a qualifying disability that prevents you from continuing to work.
- You paid into Social Security through your employer’s payroll over the years of your career.
Editor’s Note: SSDI is a program for individuals who are disabled, but have paid Social Security taxes for essentially 10 years. Individuals who are disabled and have no work little to no work history would need to apply for SSI.
Other online SSDI services that you can complete include:
- Returning to an SSDI application that you were working on.
- Checking the status of an SSDI claim.
To learn more about any of the above services you can visit the nearest Social Security office in Houston or go online to SSA.gov.
4.) Apply For Retirement Benefits Online At Social Security
If you are nearing retirement and want to apply or learn more about your potential benefits, you can do this online at SSA.gov. This website allows you to perform the following tasks:
- Apply for your retirement benefits online
- Come back to a saved application
- Check the status of your Social Security retirement application
- Use online calculators to see how much your Social Security retirement check could be
- Make an overpayment
To apply for retirement, return to a save application, or use the retirement calculator to estimate your benefits, visit the Retirement Benefits page on the Social Security website.
5.) Apply For Medicare Online
You can also apply for Medicare online at the Social Security website. Medicare is the government health insurance plan that provides healthcare to individuals 65 and older or those with a disability that has lasted for longer than 24 months.
You can also do the following things online:
- Return to a saved Medicare application.
- Check the status of your Medicare application online
- Apply for the Extra Help program which will cover copays and coinsurance costs of your Medicare Part D drug plans.
- Replace a lost Medicare card
To perform any of these task-related to Medicare, simply visit the SSA website or visit a Houston Social Security office.
6.) Appeal A Social Security Denial Online
If your Social Security application is rejected, you have 60 days to appeal the decision. You can appeal a Social Security denial by visiting SSA.gov.
You can learn more about the 4 levels of appeals by visiting the SS website or reading this article we wrote that talks about the Social Security appeals process.
Houston Social Security Office Hours Of Operation
The Social Security offices in Houston, TX are closed due to COVID 19 precautions. The best way to speak to someone at Social Security is by calling 800.772.1213 Monday through Friday from 8 am to 7 pm.
If your situation is urgent, your Houston office may allow you to make an in-person appointment. You can learn more about how to make an emergency appointment with a Houston Social Security office below.
How To Make An Appointment At A Houston Social Security Office
You cannot walk into a Houston Social Security office due to COVID 19 protocols. In general, the office is closed to the public, but they may allow you to make an in-person appointment if your situation is critical.
How To Make A Social Security Appointment During The COVID 19 Pandemic
The Houston Social Security offices will only allow in-person appointments during the COVID 19 pandemic if you have an urgent situation. Reasons that a Social Security office in Houston would grant you an in-person appointment include:
- You do not have food, housing, utilities, or medical coverage and need to apply or have your Social Security benefits reinstated.
- You have Social Security benefits and need food, shelter, or some other basic need, but cannot receive an electronic payment.
To make an in-person appointment you will need to call the Houston Social Security office near you. You can find the listing above in the section titled “Houston Social Security Offices”.
If your situation is not urgent, you are encouraged to communicate with Social Security online, by phone at 800.772.1213, or by fax.
What Is The Houston Social Security Office Phone Number?
The general telephone number for the Social Security Administration is 800.772.1213.
Each Houston Social Security office will have a separate number. You can find the numbers for each office in the “Houston Social Security Offices” section of this article.
Social Security offices in Houston can typically assist you with many services like applying for Medicare, disability benefits or simply replacing a Social Security card. That being said, during COVID 19 pandemic, you may be unable to visit an office and receive in-person assistance.
Unless your situation is urgent and you are at risk of losing housing, have no money to purchase groceries or other basic necessities it’s best to contact the Social Security Administration directly at 800.772.1213.
If you do have an urgent situation, you can contact the Houston Social Security office nearest you to see if you can schedule an in-person appointment. You can find numbers to local social security offices in a previous section of this article.
Similar Articles That May Interest You:
- How To Apply For Medicare In Houston
- How To Replace A Medicare Card
- Social Security Death Benefit: How To Get $255 After A Spouse Passes Away
- Where To Find Free Medical Equipment In Houston
- How To Get Free Incontinence Supplies In Houston
Nick Bryant is a Counselor with 11 years of experience working in community health. He enjoys concerts, walks with the doggo and wife, mocking Dallas Cowboy fans, and sharing community resources. Jump on the Houston Case Managers email list to receive weekly community resource guides delivered directly to your inbox.