- 7 Low Cost Medical Clinics In 3rd Ward To Treat The Uninsured
- 1. Central Care Medical Clinics in 3rd Ward
- 2. El Centro de Corazon (Southeast Houston Clinics)
- 3. Harris Health System (Gold Card Clinics)
- 4. Avenue 360 Medical Clinics in 3rd Ward
- 5. Legacy Community Health Services (East End Clinic)
- 6. San Jose Clinic (Midtown Houston Clinic)
- 7. St. Mary’s Clinic (East End Clinic)
7 Low Cost Medical Clinics In 3rd Ward To Treat The Uninsured
Recently I read a Rice University study that stated residents in 3rd Ward were fairly physically active “engaging in either moderate or high-intensity three or more times a week”.
Kudos to all my 3rd Ward residents getting their steps at Emancipation Park, because regular exercise is one factor when it comes to good health. Another factor regarding good health is regular follow ups to primary care doctor.
For those who have not seen a doctor in years have no fear because I will provide you with a list of medical clinics in the 3rd Ward that you can use to improve or possibly maintain your good health.
Many of these clinics are Federally Qualified Health Centers meaning no health insurance is needed because they bill you based on a “sliding scale”. The amount you will pay depends on your monthly income, even if it’s $0.
The bottom line is whether you have no money, recently laid off, or uninsured these 3rd Ward clinics can potentially be the first step to a healthier life for you.
1. Central Care Medical Clinics in 3rd Ward
Central Care has two medical clinics in the 3rd Ward area that offer primary care, dental and mental health services.
One clinic is located on Delano Street in 3rd Ward. This is near the old Riverside Hospital. The other clinic is in the South Park neighborhood.
Below are the addresses for these two 3rd Ward clinics:
- South Park – 8610 MLK, Houston, TX 77033 – 713.734.0199
- 3rd Ward – 3315 Delano Street, Houston, TX 77004 – 713.734.0199
2. El Centro de Corazon (Southeast Houston Clinics)
Despite the El Centro de Corazon clinics being located in the East End neighborhood they are still close enough to consider choosing one as your medical home if you live in 3rd Ward.
Below you will find a listing of 4 El Centro clinics in SE Houston:
- Eastwood – 412 Telephone, Houston, TX 77023
- Magnolia – 7037 Capitol Street, Suite N100, Houston, TX 77011
- John S. Dunn – 7635 Canal St, Houston, TX 77012
- Southeast – 5901 Long Drive, Suite 500, Houston, TX 77087
The medical services provided at El Centro are:
- Dental – preventative care, cleanings, scaling, root canal, extractions, sealants
- Women’s Health – prenatal care, postpartum care, well women exams, family planning, testing for STDs, infertility evaluation, male circumcisions, biopsies, pelvic ultrasounds,
- Behavioral – psychiatric evals, med management, play therapy, individual and family therapy, parenting support group,
- Primary Care – well exams, sick visits, immunizations, chronic disease management, newborn screenings, hearing and vision screenings for children
To learn more about these southeast Houston medical clinics you can call 713.660.1880.
3. Harris Health System (Gold Card Clinics)
Harris Health System is a safety net program for low-income residents in Houston’s 3rd Ward and all of Harris County. In this section you will find 4 “Gold Card” clinics that are within 5 miles of you.
Editor’s note: If you are uninsured and have chronic conditions or you are in need of surgery, Harris Health is probably your best option for treatment. Other clinics on this list specialize in preventative services, but Harris Health can offer specialty care for complicated diagnoses.
New Patient Information
To become a new patient with Harris Health System you will need to apply for the “Gold Card”. Unlike other clinics you cannot walk-in to a Harris Health clinic to receive treatment. Here you must apply for the coverage (which is called Gold Card) first. For more questions, you can call Harris Health eligibility line at 713.566.6509.
Services Offered At Harris Health
Harris Health offers the most medical services of any clinic on this list. Some of those include:
- Primary Care
- Cancer Care
- Stroke Care
- Trauma Care
Harris Health Clinics near 3rd Ward
Here is a list of Harris Health clinics that offer primary care.
- Martin Luther King Health Center – 3550 Swingle Rd Houston, TX 77047 – 713.547.1000 (located in Sunnyside near Cullen and Swingle)
- Gulfgate Health Center – 7550 Office City Drive Houston, TX 77012 – 713.495.3700 (across the freeway from the Gulfgate shopping strip)
- Monroe Same Day Clinic – 8539 Gulf Freeway, Houston, TX 77017 – 713.218.2697 (located near I-45 and Monroe)
- Riverside Dialysis Houston, TX – 3315 Delano, Houston, TX 77004 – 713.566.3900 (in the heart of 3rd Ward near Ennis Street)
Editor’s note: Monroe Clinic is a same day clinic where you can walk in and receive treatment for minor illnesses and injuries. Riverside Dialysis offers treatment options to low-income residents in Houston. You will need to apply for the Gold Card to receive treatment at either clinic.
4. Avenue 360 Medical Clinics in 3rd Ward
Avenue 360 is a Houston FQHC that offers a number of medical resources to its clients.
New Patient Appointments
To schedule a new patient appointment you can call them at 713.426.0027 or go online for more information.
Services Offered At Avenue 360
Here are some of the services offered to 3rd Ward residents.
- Medical – family practice, internal medicine, well womens exams, low cost OBGYN, pediatrics, pharmacy,
- Dental – cleanings, sealants, oral medicine, prosthodontics, crowns, bridges, dentures, periodontics, root canal therapy, oral surgery,
- Behavioral – psychiatry, mental health, substance abuse, medical case management,
- Housing and Supportive Services – offers adult daycare, HOPWA housing for individuals with HIV/AIDS, permanent supportive housing, Rapid Re-Housing, SOAR Case Management to help homeless individuals obtain SSI benefits
There are 4 different Avenue 360 Clinics within miles of the 3rd Ward area. Three of these clinics are in the Montrose neighborhood while the other is a medical clinic in 3rd Ward.
- Montrose Dental Center– 1427 Hawthorne St, Houston, TX 77006 – 713.341.3790
- Avenue 360 Day Activities Center – 1429 Hawthorne St, Houston, TX 77006 – 713.341.3750
- Omega House – Hospice/Medical Respite – 602 Branard St. Houston, TX 77006 – 713.523.7110
- South Central – 4405 Griggs Rd, Houston, TX 77021 – 832.962.4111
5. Legacy Community Health Services (East End Clinic)
Legacy Community Health has one of the largest FQHC networks in Houston and these clinics are good options for anyone who is uninsured.
New Patient Appointments
To schedule an appointment at Legacy you can call them at 832.548.5000 or schedule online.
Medical Services Offered At Legacy
Not every Legacy Community Health clinic offers the same services, therefore it is best to call the location you are interested in to learn more about treatment options.
Below is a list of all the low-cost medical services provided in Legacy network:
- Adult Medicine – physical exams, chronic disease management, men/womens screenings,
- Behavioral Health – depression, bipolar, anxiety, schizophrenia, ADHD, developmental delays, learning disabilities,
- Dental Care – children’s dentistry, dental cleanings, dental exams/screenings, fillings, urgent care for extreme toothaches and cracked molars
- Endocrinology – hormonal care, diabetes, pituitary disorders, osteoporosis, lipid disorders, high cholesterol, thyroid problems, metabolic disorders, adrenal glands,
- Geriatrics – annual exams, chronic disease, constipation, falls, incontinence, anxiety, Alzheimer’s, end of life planning
- HIV/STD Screenings – free testing for HIV, STD, pregnancy, PrEP
- LGBTQ Services – HIV/STD screening, transgender specialty care, vision tests, social services,
- OBGYN and Maternity – birth planning, contraceptive counseling, free pregnancy tests, prenatal care, routine annual examinations, routine ultrasound, STI,
- Pediatrics – well-child visits, sports physicals, adolescent care, lactation consulting,
- Pharmacy – fills prescriptions, prescription delivery, med counseling, smoking cessation, immunizations,
- Vaccinations and Immunizations – flu, hepatitis B, DTP, HPV, back to school shots,
- Vision – eye exams, diabetic visions, glaucoma testing, HIV vision exams, contact lenses, prescription glasses, frames, lens,
Legacy Community Health Clinics in Houston
There are no Legacy Clinics in 3rd Ward, however, those in Montrose and East End are close enough to consider them if you need primary care. .
- Montrose Clinic – 1415 California St Houston, TX 77006 – 832.548.5100
- Branard Clinic – 401 Branard St, Level 3 Houston, TX 77006 – 713.366.7444
- Santa Clara Clinic – 5616 Lawndale St Suite A108 Houston, TX 77023 – 713.921.0075
6. San Jose Clinic (Midtown Houston Clinic)
San Jose Clinic offers affordable medical care in Houston to both children and adults.
Editor’s note: San Jose Clinic is open to everyone, however, it was created to address the infant mortality rate in the hispanic community. Today the clinic continues to serve the Houston latino community.
There is one medical clinic in Midtown that is within 3 miles of 3rd Ward. This clinics is located at the corner of Fannin and McGowen.
- Midtown – 2615 Fannin St, Houston, TX 77002 – 713.228.9411
The following services are offered:
- Adult primary care
- Labs, ultrasounds, x-rays
- OBGYN, cervical screenings and mamograms
- Counseling and psychiatry
- Cardiology, dermatology, endocrinology, internal medicine, neurology, orthopedics, otolaryngology, physical therapy, podiatry, rheumatology, urology,
- Vision, ophthalmology, optometry
- General care, hygiene, fillings, root canals, crowns, extractions, dentures,
- Pharmacy prescriptions, refills, prescription assistance program,
For more information you can call them at 713.228.9411 or visit the San Jose Clinic website.
7. St. Mary’s Clinic (East End Clinic)
St. Mary’s Clinic is apart of the Christus Foundation for Healthcare network. What is interesting about this clinic is that they only accept patients who have no health insurance.
Services Offered At St. Mary’s
In addition to offering low-cost primary care in Houston, St. Mary’s clinics also treat the following:
- High Blood Pressure
- High Cholesterol
- Menstrual Problems
- Back and Joint Pains
- Minor Injuries
- Chiropractic Services
- Thyroid, kidney, liver, and heart conditions
St. Mary’s in East End
This is not a 3rd Ward clinic, however, it is very close to the area. The St. Mary’s clinic is located on N.Wayside across from the Walmart Supercenter on I-45.
St. Mary’ s clinic – 2002 S. Wayside Dr, Houston, TX 77023 – 713.803.1840
In regards to medical care, simply living in the Houston area (let alone 3rd Ward) is a huge benefit. The Houston medical center, a global leader in medicine, is literally located across the freeway from 3rd Ward and this puts you in a favorable position to easily access medical clinics whenever you need them.
When it comes to healthcare, it is always best to take a preventative approach which means finding a doctor and visiting for yearly checkups. Walking the MacGregor Park Trail and using this guide to locate medical clinics in 3rd Ward will go a long way in helping you to avoid costly hospitalizations, improve medical outcomes, and overall live a happier and healthier life.
If you need even more options for healthcare see our guided titled 15 Low Cost Medical Clinics In Houston That Treat The Uninsured.
Nick Bryant is a Counselor with 11 years of experience working in community health. He enjoys concerts, walks with the doggo and wife, mocking Dallas Cowboy fans, and sharing community resources. Jump on the Houston Case Managers email list to receive weekly community resource guides delivered directly to your inbox.