Carelink San Antonio: Insurance Coverage For The Uninsured
In this guide, I will talk with you about a San Antonio Texas health coverage plan called the CareLink Program.
This is an indigent healthcare option for any individual that is uninsured, homeless, recently laid off, or just moved to the San Antonio area.
- Carelink San Antonio: Insurance Coverage For The Uninsured
- What is the CareLink Program?
- Who is eligible for the CareLink Program?
- What Services Do CareLink Cover?
- Download Your CareLink Program Application
- Supporting Documents Needed For CareLink Program
- 2 Ways To Apply For CareLink
- University Health System Clinics In San Antonio
- University Hospital San Antonio: Emergency Medical Care For Low-Income Families In Bexar County
- How To Renew CareLink Coverage
First, we will start out with a brief summary of what CareLink is.
What is the CareLink Program?
CareLink is a health insurance plan that covers low-income residents in San Antonio Texas.
This health coverage is managed by the University Health System, which provides medical care to uninsured and low-income individuals in Bexar County.
Editor’s note: This program is similar to the Gold Card program that helps Houston’s uninsured population.
Who is eligible for the CareLink Program?
To qualify you must meet the following criteria:
- Live in Bexar County
- Not have another form of private or public health insurance
- Be considered low-income
Other considerations like your total income and the number of people living in your household factor into eligibility. To learn more about who qualifies for CareLink, you can contact the University Health System at 210.358.3350.
What Services Do CareLink Cover?
The CareLinks provides an impressive mixture of and social services to including:
- Adult primary care
- Pediatric care
- Cancer screenings
- OBGYN, women’s health services
- Preventive care
- Pharmacy services
- Pregnancy and childbirth
- San Antonio hospitals for those with no insurance
- Chronic conditions
- Urgent Care in San Antonio through the University Health System’s ExpressMed clinics
Carelink members can receive assistance through a prescription program called Medication Assistance Program (MAP). The way it works is any medications that are not covered by CareLink they will work with pharmaceutical companies to try to obtain the prescription at a potential discount.
Healthy Living Program
This program rewards clients with credits toward their medical bills when they participate in classes like chronic disease management, healthy eating, exercise, and weight management classes.
Similar to the Healthy Living Program, but this one rewards the patient with credits for participating in fitness activities. For more information, you can call them at 210.358.7206.
Blood Donor Services at University Health System
You can receive a $25 credit for each blood donation you or a family member makes in your name to the University Health System. For more information, you can call 210.358.2812 or book an appointment on their Blood Drive Locator.
How CareLink Helps You with Utility Assistance In San Antonio
Download Your CareLink Program Application
You can download your CareLink application in English and Spanish.
The San Antonio CareLink application requests information like demographics, family size, household income, assets, and employment verification.
Supporting Documents Needed For CareLink Program
You may need to include some of these documents with your application.
- Income and resources– a list of your monthly expenses and income
- Wage verification form – a form to help you verify your employment earnings
- Self-employment income form – complete this form if you are self-employed
- Account verification form – establishes automatic withdrawal for your CareLink medical care
- Prescription mail out the request form – to have your prescriptions mailed to your home
- Verification of unemployment form – form needed to be completed if you are unemployed
- Automatic checking withdrawal – this automatic withdrawal will come from your banking account to cover medical payments
2 Ways To Apply For CareLink
To apply, you must first set up an enrollment appointment. You can do so by phone or online.
By Phone – You can call the University Health Center at 210.358.3350 to apply for CareLink by phone.
Schedule Appointment Online – You can also schedule an appointment to apply for CareLink.
University Health System Clinics In San Antonio
Below you will find a listing of the 5 CareLink clinics in Bexar County.
- North Office – 126 West Rector Street, 116, San Antonio, TX 78216 – 210.358.3350
- Robert B. Green Campus Clinic – Historic Building, 903 W. Martin St, San Antonio, TX 78207 – 210.358.3400
- University Family Health Center – Southwest – 2121 SW 36th Street, San Antonio, TX 78237 – 210.358.5100
- University Health Center – Southeast – 1055 Ada Street, San Antonio, TX 778223 210.358.5515
- Medical Center Pavilion – 4647 Medical Drive, San Antonio, TX 78229 – 210.358.8145
University Hospital San Antonio: Emergency Medical Care For Low-Income Families In Bexar County
University Hospital is a Level I trauma center in Bexar County that provides medical care to low-income families.
Emergency medical conditions offered at University Hospital are injuries, trauma, medical pediatric, obstetric, gynecology, and psychiatric emergencies in San Antonio.
University Hospital is located at 4502 Medical Drive, San Antonio, TX 78229. You can reach them by phone at 210.358.4000. You can find the hospital plotted on the map in the above section.
How To Renew CareLink Coverage
To renew your CareLink coverage you will have to schedule an appointment either online or by phone.
- Renew your coverage online
- Contact 210.358.3350 to renew your coverage
CareLink is a safety net program that provides treatment for the indigent population of San Antonio. This includes people who are homeless, unemployed, do not qualify for Medicaid, or recently moved to Bexar County.
No matter how low your income is, San Antonio’s University Health System can help you with a whole range of medical services covered by this program.
If you have questions about CareLink coverage be sure to call University Health System at 210.358.3353. Should you need even more options for primary care see our guide titled 42 San Antonio Clinics That Treat The Uninsured.
Nick Bryant is a Counselor with 11 years of experience working in community health. He enjoys concerts, walks with the doggo and wife, mocking Dallas Cowboy fans, and sharing community resources. Jump on the Houston Case Managers email list to receive weekly community resource guides delivered directly to your inbox.