West Houston Assistance Ministries: Help With Rent For Those Living In Far West Houston
In this guide, I will tell you about a Houston nonprofit that helps the west side of Houston with rental assistance. That financial assistance agency is called West Houston Area Ministries or WHAM.
If you recently lost your job, are a single mother, or have an eviction notice West Houston Area Ministries may be able to help you with financial assistance to pay your bills. This includes things like delinquent rent, mortgage, and utility bills.
In this guide, I will tell you more about this west Houston nonprofit, the zip codes they serve, and explain how you can apply for rental assistance.
What Is West Houston Area Ministries?
This is a west Houston faith-based organization that helps the community with various basic needs. If you are struggling to pay bills, unemployed, or receive government benefits then West Houston Area Ministries may be able to assist you with support services to help you get back on your feet.
What Zip Codes Of Houston Do They Help?
The zip codes that WHAM services are:
The service area can change so you are encouraged to contact West Houston Assistance Ministries at 713.780.2727 to ensure they provide assistance to your zip code.
What Type Of Assistance Do They Offer?
In addition to providing rental assistance in west Houston, this nonprofit can help with the following basic needs:
- Food assistance via its food pantry. The food pantry has scheduled hours and days and you can learn about these times by calling them at 713.780.2727 ext 300. They also offer healthy eating classes, senior food box programs, and a pet pantry when supplies are available.
- Employment services include things like a job board to help you find work, resume assistance, job coaching, and adult education classes to help you stand out with employers.
- Seasonal programs offered by West Houston Assistance Ministries include back-to-school drives, Thanksgiving, and Christmas programs.
How To Apply For Rental Assistance With West Houston Area Ministries?
To apply for financial assistance for help paying your rent, mortgage, or utility bill you will need to contact WHAM.
They schedule appointments on Mondays, Tuesdays, and Wednesdays from 10 am to 2 pm. Appointments are limited, therefore you are encouraged to call as early as possible.
To schedule your appointment for rent assistance in west Houston, call WHAM at 713.780.2727.
Editor’s note: Financial assistance is not guaranteed. Rent assistance is limited and awarded on a first-come, first-serve basis.
What Documents Are Needed To Apply For Rental Assistance?
Each program (rent assistance or the food pantry) will have different qualifications therefore you will need to contact them to learn about the specific requirements. In general, WHAM will need the following documents to consider you for assistance:
- Photo IDs for each adult in your household
- IDs for children
- Show your proof of income and residency
How To Stay In Your Home If You Cannot Find Rental Assistance
If you are unable to obtain rental assistance from West Houston Area Ministries or some other financial help program these are things that you can do to ensure you are not evicted from your home.
- Speak with your landlord as soon as possible. If you know that you will not be able to pay your rent or light bill, call them to try and work out an arrangement. You can show these individuals respect by letting them know about your situation and the steps you are taking to come up with the rent money that is owed. This could include telling them about various Houston financial assistance programs that you have applied for or telling them about a new job that you started and letting them know when you will get your first paycheck. There is no guarantee that this will work, but you should still try.
- Learn about what your tenant rights are. Landlords cannot evict you from your apartment, only judges can do this. You can learn about more legal rights that you have by contacting a free legal aid agency in Houston. In our guide titled Free Legal Advice In Houston: Low Income Lawyers To Help You With Legal Programs I provide you with a number of agencies who can provide you with guidance.
You can find even more detailed instructions to help you avoid eviction in another one of my guides called 3 Things You Can Do To Avoid Eviction If You Cannot Find Rent Assistance.
How To Volunteer With West Houston Area Ministries
If you live in west Houston and would like to volunteer with WHAM you can start the process by completing their volunteer application.
To provide services like these to the community takes a great deal of effort, so if you are fortunate enough to be in a position to help consider contacting West Houston Area Ministries.
West Houston Assistance Ministries provides a number of basic needs services to families who are struggling to pay bills, single mothers, and unemployed individuals.
If you live in west Houston near Westchase, Briarforest, Highway 6, Mission Bend, or Clodine you are likely in the WHAM service area, which means they may be able to help you.
To learn more about how to get rent assistance in west Houston, you can visit the West Houston Area Ministries website, their office at 10501 Meadowglen Lane Houston, TX 77042, or call them at 713.780.2727.
Similar Articles That May Be Of Interest To You:
- Houston Utility Assistance Programs To Help You Pay Your Light Bill
- How To Find Rental Assistance Programs In Houston
- Staffing Agencies In Houston: A Motivated Job Seeker’s Guide To Finding A Job Fast
Nick Bryant is the author of Understanding Healthcare Is Half The Battle and a Senior Counselor with 13+ years of experience working in community health and mental health. He enjoys spending time with his family, watching WWE on Friday nights, and working toward a Google Data Analytics certification. If you have additional questions about community resources or government assistance programs, simply leave a comment below and he will follow up as soon as possible.