- Northwest Assistance Ministries: Help With Rent For Those Living In NW Houston
- What Is Northwest Area Ministries?
- What Zip Codes Of Houston Do They Help?
- What Type Of Assistance Do They Offer?
- How To Apply For Rental Assistance With Northwest Houston Area Ministries
- Download Northwest Assistance Ministries Rental Assistance Application
- How To Stay In Your Home If You Cannot Find Rental Assistance
- How To Volunteer With NAM
Northwest Assistance Ministries: Help With Rent For Those Living In NW Houston
In this guide, I will tell you about a Houston nonprofit that helps the northwest side of Houston with rental assistance and other basic needs. That financial assistance agency is called Northwest Assistance Ministries also known as NAM.
If you recently lost your job, are a single mother, or have an eviction notice NAM may be able to help you with financial assistance to pay your bills. This includes things like delinquent rent, mortgage, and utility bills.
In this guide, I will tell you more about this northwest Houston nonprofit, the zip codes they serve, and explain how you can apply for rental assistance.
What Is Northwest Area Ministries?
This is an NW Houston faith-based organization that helps the community with various basic needs. If you are struggling to pay bills, unemployed, or receive government benefits then NW Assistance Ministries may be able to assist you with support services to help you get back on your feet.
What Zip Codes Of Houston Do They Help?
The zip codes that NAM services are:
The service area can change so you are encouraged to contact Northwest Assistance Ministries at 281.885.4555 to ensure they provide assistance to your zip code.
What Type Of Assistance Do They Offer?
In addition to providing rental assistance in northwest Houston, this nonprofit can help with the following basic needs:
- The Meals on Wheels program is for Houston seniors and delivers meals to these homebound citizens.
- NAM also offers employment assistance in Houston. They can help you train for the following positions:
- Administrative Professional
- Certified Nurse Aid (CNA)
- Certified Sterile Processing Technician (CSPT)
- Community Health Worker (CHW)
- Patient Care Tech (PCT)
- Forklift Operator Certification with OSHA 10
- Help with mortgage assistance in Houston.
- The Family Violence Center can help you and your family escape a violent relationship. You can learn more about this program by visiting the Northwest Assistance Ministries website or calling the 24 hour Family Violence Hotline at 281.885.4673.
- The Young at Heart Senior Center offers seniors in NW Houston a number of fun activities. This includes fitness classes, yoga, line dancing, educational classes, bowling, and bingo.
How To Apply For Rental Assistance With Northwest Houston Area Ministries
To apply for financial assistance for help paying your rent, mortgage, or utility bill you will need to contact Northwest Assistance Ministries.
They schedule appointments for rent assistance in Houston Monday through Friday from 9 am to 2 pm.
To schedule your appointment for rent assistance in NW Houston, call NAM at 281.885.4555.
Editor’s note: Financial assistance is not guaranteed. Rent assistance is limited and awarded on a first-come, first-serve basis.
Download Northwest Assistance Ministries Rental Assistance Application
You can download your NAM rent assistance application by following the link below:
In addition to completing the assistance application, you will also need to provide supporting documents like IDs, Social Security cards, birth certificates, copies of your apartment lease, utility bill, and other documents. You can see the complete list on the Northwest Assistance Ministries website.
How To Stay In Your Home If You Cannot Find Rental Assistance
If you are unable to obtain rental assistance from Northwest Assistance Ministries or some other financial help program these are things that you can do to ensure you are not evicted from your home.
- Speak with your landlord as soon as possible. If you know that you will not be able to pay your rent or light bill, call them to try and work out an arrangement. You can show these individuals respect by letting them know about your situation and the steps you are taking to come up with the rent money that is owed. This could include telling them about various Houston financial assistance programs that you have applied for or telling them about a new job that you started and letting them know when you will get your first paycheck. There is no guarantee that this will work, but you should still try.
- Learn about what your tenant rights are. Landlords cannot evict you from your apartment, only judges can do this. You can learn about more legal rights that you have by contacting a free legal aid agency in Houston. In our guide titled Free Legal Advice In Houston: Low Income Lawyers To Help You With Legal Programs I provide you with a number of agencies who can provide you with guidance.
You can find even more detailed instructions to help you avoid eviction in another one of my guides called 3 Things You Can Do To Avoid Eviction If You Cannot Find Rent Assistance.
How To Volunteer With NAM
If you live in NW Houston and would like to volunteer with NAM you can start the process by completing their volunteer application.
In addition to volunteering time, you can also help with donations that will support their mission of caring for low-income families in NW Houston. To make a donation you can visit their Donate page.
Northwest Assistance Ministries provides a number of basic needs services to families who are struggling to pay bills, single mothers, and unemployed individuals.
If you live in NW Houston near Spring, Acres Homes, Carverdale, Jersey Village, Willowbrook, Cypress, Greenspoint, or East Aldine you are likely in the NAM service area, which means they may be able to help you.
To learn more about how to get rent assistance in NW Houston, you can visit the Northwest Area Ministries website, their office at 15555 Kuykendahl, Houston, TX 77090, or call them at 281.885.4555.
Similar Articles That May Be Of Interest To You:
- Houston Utility Assistance Programs To Help You Pay Your Light Bill
- How To Find Rental Assistance Programs In Houston
- Staffing Agencies In Houston: A Motivated Job Seeker’s Guide To Finding A Job Fast
Nick Bryant is a Counselor with 11 years of experience working in community health. He enjoys concerts, walks with the doggo and wife, mocking Dallas Cowboy fans, and sharing community resources. Jump on the Houston Case Managers email list to receive weekly community resource guides delivered directly to your inbox.