Where To Apply For Children’s Health Insurance Program In Houston | Texas CHIP
In this article I will provide you with step by step instructions on finding places to apply for Children’s Health Insurance Program.
In addition, this guide will provide you with the following information regarding Texas CHIP:
- Details of Texas CHIP
- Map of locations you can visit for help applying for Texas Medicaid
- A list of agencies who can help you complete your Medicaid application
- Contact numbers to each agency
In the next section I will go over the details of Texas CHIP. If you are already familiar with the program and simply need to see a listing of agencies to help you apply, click the link below. ↓↓
- Details Of The Children’s Health Insurance Program
- What Is Children’s Health Insurance Program?
- Is There A Difference Between Children’s Health Insurance Program and Medicaid?
- What Services Does Children’s Health Insurance Program Offer?
- Who Qualifies For Children’s Health Insurance Program?
- What Are The Income Guidelines For Children’s Health Insurance Program?
- What Is The Cost For Children’s Health Insurance Program?
- Where To Apply For Children’s Health Insurance Program In Houston (MAP of locations)
Details Of The Children’s Health Insurance Program
What Is Children’s Health Insurance Program?
CHIP is a low-cost health plan for children from birth to 18 years. CHIP is a plan for families who earn too much income to qualify for Medicaid, although they cannot afford to purchase private health insurance.
Is There A Difference Between Children’s Health Insurance Program and Medicaid?
Both CHIP and Medicaid provide health insurance to low-cost families in Texas. Whether you qualify for CHIP or Medicaid depends on your income.
Note: For a table of Income guidelines regarding CHIP go here.
What Services Does Children’s Health Insurance Program Offer?
- Primary care visits and checkups
- Dental services like office visits, cleanings and fillings
- Access to medical specialist
- Hospital care
- Mental health services
- Eye exams and glasses
- Prescriptions medications
- Immunizations and vaccines
Who Qualifies For Children’s Health Insurance Program?
To qualify for Texas CHIP, a child must meed the following requirements:
- Birth to 18 years old
- Texas resident
- Child must be a U.S. citizen or legal permanent resident
- Only the child must be a U.S. citizen. CHIP does not inquire about the citizenship/immigration status of the parent
- Anyone 19 or younger who lives on their own
- Pregnant women of any age can apply for CHIP perinatal services for her unborn child
What Are The Income Guidelines For Children’s Health Insurance Program?
If your income is less or equal to the figures below, you may qualify for Texas CHIP.
Note: Eligibility is calculated as the money you are paid before taxes are taken out of your check.
|Family Members (Adults and Children)||Monthly Family Income||Yearly Family Income|
What Is The Cost For Children’s Health Insurance Program?
The yearly cost of Texas CHIP is $50 per family.
Note: The $50 cost covers all your children, not just one.
The cost of co-payments for PCP visits and prescriptions range from $3 to $5 for the lower-income families of the program. Families on the higher end pay between $20 to $35.
Where To Apply For Children’s Health Insurance Program In Houston (MAP of locations)
The map above pinpoints locations where you can go to apply for Texas CHIP in Houston. Each location offers face to face assistance in applying for Medicaid, TANF and SNAP.
You are advised to call each before visiting as a walk in.
In the sections below I will provide more information about each agency.
Texas Health and Human Service Commission
Texas Health and Human Service Commission (THHS) is the first agency I will tell you about who can help you apply for CHIP in Houston.
THHS is the agency who manages Texas CHIP, as well as Medicaid, TANF and SNAP.
Note: Texas Health and Human Service Commission is the agency who decides if you qualify for Children’s Health Insurance Program. Other agencies on this list can help you apply (fill out paperwork), but ultimately THHS determines who is eligible for services.
Double Note: If you have questions about the status of your application those should go to Texas Health and Human Services Commission; EVEN if another agency helps you apply for CHIP. Again they manage CHIP so other agencies are simply helping you submit your application to THHS. Call THHS at 877.543.7669.
Texas Health and Human Service Commission Offices in Houston
There are 16 Texas Health and Human Service Offices around the Houston area.
Each THHS is staffed with employees who can assist you or your client with completing a Texas CHIP application.
- Beltway 8 & 45 South – 10060 Fuqua St, Houston, TX 77089 – 713.946.6861
- Buffalo Speedway – 13838 Buffalo Speedway, Houston, TX 77045 – 713.433.3145
- Conroe – 608 N. Loop 336 E, Conroe, TX 77301 – 936.539.1161
- Dickinson – 215 Tanglewood Dr, Dickinson, TX 77539 – 409.945.0317
- East End – 2110 Telephone Rd, Houston, TX 77023 – 713.921.5108
- East Houston – 10202 East Freeway, Houston, TX 77029 – 713.673.6347
- East Little York – 1421 Little York Rd, Houston, TX 77093 – 281.372.2540
- Galveston – 123 Rosenberg St, Galveston, TX 77550 – 409.763.0277
- Greenspoint – 220 Meadowfern Dr, Houston, TX 77067 – 281.874.0048
- Highway 6 (West Houston) – 2133 S Texas 6 #100, Houston, TX 77077 – 281.597.5200
- Northline – 3880 North Freeway, Houston, TX 77022 – 713.699.1098
- NW Houston – 8511 N Houston Rosslyn Rd, Houston, TX 77088 – 713.895.6800
- Pasadena – 810 Preston Rd, Pasadena, TX 77502 – 713.947.8130
- Texas City – 2000 Texas Ave #900, Texas City, TX 77590 – 409.948.3481
- Third Ward – 6118 Scott St, Houston, TX 77021 – 713.748.8450
- Tomball – 29250 TX – 249 Business, Tomball, TX 77375 – 281.351.0637
A walk-in visit to a Texas Health and Human Services office will have you waiting for hours, so you are encouraged to contact them at 2-1-1 or 877.543.7669 to arrange an appointment. You can also complete your application over the phone by dialing those same numbers.
If you are tech savvy, avoid the THHS and visit You Texas Benefits. There you can apply for benefits like CHIP, Medicaid, TANF and SNAP online.
City of Houston Health Department
The City of Houston Health Department helps you apply for Children’s Health Insurance Program in Houston at each of its 11 multi-service centers.
City of Houston Multi-service Centers
- Acres Homes MSC – 6719 W Montgomery Rd, Houston, TX 77091 – 832.393.4145
- Denver Harbor MSC – 6402 Market Street, Houston, TX 77020 – 832.395.0895
- Fifth Ward MSC – 4014 Market Street, Houston, TX 77020 – 832.393.5427
- Hiram Clarke MSC – 3810 W Fuqua Street, Houston, TX 77045 – 832.393.4240
- Kashmere MSC – 4802 Lockwood Dr, Houston, TX 77026 – 832.393.5503
- Magnolia MSC – 7037 Capitol St, Houston, TX 77011 – 832.395.3380
- Northeast MSC – 9720 Spaulding St, Houston, TX 77016 – 832.395.0470
- Southwest MSC – 6400 High Star Dr, Houston, TX 77074 – 832.395.9900
- Sunnyside MSC – 9314 Cullen Blvd, Houston, TX 77051 – 832.395.0069
- Third Ward MSC – 3611 Ennis St, Houston, TX 77004 – 832.393.4051
- West End MSC – 170 Heights Blvd, Houston, TX 77007 – 832.393.5950
Each multi-service center is staffed with a Client Access Specialist who can assist you with completing your Texas CHIP application.
Note: You are encouraged to call the appointment line at 832.393.5427 to schedule a sit down for help applying for CHIP. In most cases City of Houston Health Department does not accept walk ins. You are welcome to stop by for questions, but as far as helping you with your application, you will need an appointment.
In addition to the CHIP application, the health department can assist you with applying for Medicaid, TANF, SNAP and Texas Women’s Health Program.
To schedule an appointment with a City of Houston Client Access Specialist contact the Houston Health Department appointment line at 832.393.5427.
Family Houston (formerly Family Services of Greater Houston)
Family Houston is another option if you need to apply for Children’s Health Insurance Program in Houston. They are partnered with Texas Health and Human Services meaning they can also help with Medicaid, TANF and SNAP applications.
Family Services is staffed by knowledgeable case managers who can answer any enrollment related questions you may have about Texas CHIP.
- Family Houston – 4625 Lillian St, Houston, TX 77007
Contact them at 713.861.4849 to schedule your appointment.
Harris Health / Gold Card: An Alternative To CHIP
If you are unable to qualify for Children’s Health Insurance Plan or Medicaid, one alternative to keep in mind is Harris Health / Gold Card.
Harris Health / Gold Card is local health insurance for individuals in Harris County who cannot qualify for Medicaid or CHIP.
This program offers everything from primary care, access to specialist, dentist, counseling, psychiatry and more.
To learn how to apply for this program see our guide titled How To Apply For Harris Health (Gold Card).
The easiest way to apply for Children’s Health Insurance Program in Houston is definitely by phone (877.543.7669 or 800.647.6558) or online, however there are plenty of agencies to help you in person.
If you lack a computer or simply feel more comfortable speaking with someone face to face visit any of the agencies above for assistance.
Nick Bryant is a Counselor with 11 years of experience working in community health. He enjoys concerts, walks with the doggo and wife, mocking Dallas Cowboy fans, and sharing community resources. Jump on the Houston Case Managers email list to receive weekly community resource guides delivered directly to your inbox.