- Houston Home Repair Programs: Financial Assistance To Help You Fix Your Home
- What Type Of Help Do Home Improvement Programs Offer?
- Who Qualifies For Home Repair Programs In Houston?
- Houston Habitat for Humanity
- Habitat for Humanity ReStore
- The City of Houston Home Repair Program
- City Of Houston Homebuyer Assistance Program
- Harris County Home Repair Program
- Rebuilding Together Houston
- City of Baytown Home Repair programs
- City of Houston Lead Program
- Love Network Of Baytown: Building Wheel Chair Ramps For Seniors In Baytown
- Interfaith Caring Ministries: Minor Home Repairs For Seniors
- East Aldine District Home Repair Program
- Baker Ripley Weatherization Program
- U.S. Weatherization Assistance Programs
- How To Find Home Repair Programs In Texas
- Medicare Home Improvements
- Home Modifications Covered By Medicaid
- Aging In Place Programs Houston
Houston Home Repair Programs: Financial Assistance To Help You Fix Your Home
In this guide I will tell you about a group of local non-profits that offer home repair programs in Houston.
These home improvement assistance programs typically work with seniors, individuals with disabilities, and even low-income families. The repairs that the offer range from building wheelchair ramps, roofs, plumbing, and one Houston organization even builds homes for free.
Prior to reading about these organizations, I want to be truthful in letting you know that these are programs with great demand. The help they provide will depend on available funding. If you plan on getting assistance from one of these organizations, be sure to follow instructions, provide paperwork in a timely manner, and do your best to work with these organizations.
Keep reading as we talk more about home repair programs in Houston.
What Type Of Help Do Home Improvement Programs Offer?
These programs can offer home modifications, minor and major repairs to your home. Specific examples of home improvements include home insulation, home health care equipment, ramps for folks with disabilities and home weatherization.
The repairs can be anything from fixing leaking pipes to more complex work like water heater installation.
The services that are offered will depend on the specific program that apply for.
Who Qualifies For Home Repair Programs In Houston?
The qualifications of a home repair program vary depending on the specific program you are applying for. In general, it benefits senior citizens, individuals with disabilities and even low-income families who seek assistance with repairs to their homes.
Houston Habitat for Humanity
If you are working and have a goal of owning a home one day, Houston Habitat for Humanity may be able to help you out.
This nonprofit helps low-income families in Houston to to build and finance a new home. Houston Habitat for Humanity will assist you in the home purchasing process, however, they do require that you put some “skin in the game”.
To show that you are committed to the process Habitat for Humanity requires that you perform 250 hours of work helping to build homes for other needy families in their program. They also require you to complete financial counseling and homeowner education programs to ensure that you are able to maintain your Habitat for Humanity home.
In order to qualify for Habitat for Humanity you must meet the following requirements:
- Live in overcrowded housing
- Live in substandard housing
- You pay over 30% of your gross income on rent
- Currently reside in an unsafe/unsanitary neighborhood
- US citizen or have permanent residency status
- Currently have one year of continuous employment
- Have a satisfactory credit score
- You can afford monthly mortgage, escrow, and insurance payments
- Meet the minimum annual income requirement for your family size
How To Apply For The Houston Habitat For Humanity Home Buyer Program
To apply for the home buyer program you will need to do the following:
- Attend an information session to learn more about the Habitat for Humanity home buyer program.
- Complete an application as well as provide other supplemental documents.
- Go through a background check to review your employment, financial, and rental history to ensure you are a good fit for the program.
- If accepted into the Homebuyer Program you must complete homeownership classes, complete 250 hours of work, and satisfy other requirements. In total, it can take 1.5 years to complete the process and close on your new home.
For more questions about the Habitat For Humanity Home Buyer Program you can visit their website, office at 3750 N. McCarty, Houston, TX 77029, or call them at 713.671.9993.
Habitat for Humanity ReStore
If you need to furnish your home, Habitat for Humanity can help with that as well. The nonprofit has 2 home improvement stores in Houston. These stores offer new and used items like:
- Home Accessories
- Building Materials
- Cabinets and Doors
- Roofing Materials
- And more…
The income generated from these low-cost home improvement stores is used to help the Habitat for Humanity mission. These funds go toward families in the program who are trying to build their own home.
Habitat for Humanity ReStore locations in Houston
- South Loop – 6161 S. Loop East, Houston, TX 77087 – 713.643.1100
- West 34th – 5280 West 34th Street, Houston, TX 77092 – 346.406.3882
More information you can visit the Houston Habitat for Humanity ReStore website.
The City of Houston Home Repair Program
The city of Houston offers a home repair program to low and moderate-income homeowners in the Houston city limits.
Eligibility is determined on a case-by-case basis but the preferences for this program are:
- Seniors 62 and older
- Families with children under the age of 18
- Individuals with disabilities
How The City of Houston Home Repair Program Works
The City of Houston will inspect your home to estimate how much it will cost to repair. The cost to repair your home will determine something call the “affordability period”.
The affordability period is the time frame that you must live in your home after repairs are made. If you were to move out of your home before the end of your affordability period, the City of Houston could ask you to pay back a portion of the repair cost.
The table below will give you a better understanding of how the Affordability Period works.
|Level of Assistance||Cost of Repairs||Affordability Period|
|Minor Home Repair||Less than $20K||none|
|Moderate Home Repair||$20K to $40K||5 years|
|Substantial Home Repair||$40K to $80K||10 years|
|Reconstruction||More than $100K||20 years|
What Kind Of Home Repairs Does City Of Houston Offer?
The City of Houston offers the following types of home repairs.
- Roofing assistance for seniors
- Plumbing help for seniors
- Complete reconstructions
- New home rebuilds
Eligibility Questions For The City of Houston Home Repair Program
If you answer yes to the following questions then you may qualify for assistance through this program.
- Do you have the title to your home?
- Is this your primary residence?
- Are the property taxes current?
- Is the home outside the floodway? If you are unsure you can use this FEMA Flood Map to check.
- Is your household income under 80% of the Area Median Income?
|Household Size||80% Area Median Income (AMI)||120% Area Median Income (AMI)|
If you answered yes to each of the questions above you may qualify for this home repair program. in the next section I will show you how to apply for this program.
How To Apply For The City of Houston Home Repair Program
To apply for this senior home repair assistance program you can either call the City of Houston at 832-394-6200 or complete an online intake survey.
City Of Houston Homebuyer Assistance Program
The City of Houston Housing and Community Development Department offers a home buyer assistance program. This program offers up to $30,000 in assistance to qualified applicants.
How Does The City Of Houston Home Buyer Assistance Program Work?
The City of Houston helps you to obtain a no-interest forgivable loan. The loan is forgiven if you live in the home for five years. If you sell a move out of the home before the end of five years you will have to pay back apportion of that loan amount to the city of Houston.
What Are The Qualifications For This Home Buyer Assistance Program?
To qualify for this program you must meet these three qualifications:
- You are a first-time home buyer or you have not own the home in the last 3 years
- The home you are interested in pays taxes to the city of Houston
- Your household income is below 80% of the area median income level
How To Apply For The City Of Houston Homebuyer Assistance Program
To apply for this program you must complete an application and provide the required supplemental documents. More information you can call the Housing and Community Development Department at 832-393-0550.
Harris County Home Repair Program
This program offers help with minor repairs, major repairs, reconstruction, and septic or water well issues.
- Minor Repair Assistance – This program is for individuals 62 and older or individuals with a documented disability. The program can offer up to $20,000 and minor repairs. you must be within 50% of the median category income. The types of repairs include roof repair or replacement, electrical, Plumbing, weatherization, and handicapped accessibility improvements like ramps and shower rails.
- Major Rehabilitation And Reconstruction Assistance – This program offers up to $80,000 iPhone repairs. You must be within the 80% of the median income category.
- Septic Water Well Assistance – Miss Harris County program offers up to $40,000 to replace or repair aseptic for water well. There is no age limit. your income cannot exceed 80% of the income level.
What Areas Qualify For Harris County Home Repair Assistance?
To qualify for this program your home must be in one of the following Harris County cities:
- Deer Park
- Galena Park
- Jacinto City
- La Porte
- Morgan’s Point
- South Houston
Who Is Eligible For The Harris County Home Repair Program?
These are the requirements to receive help with the cost of home repairs:
- You must be current on all your property taxes.
- Your assets cannot exceed $40,000.
- You have not participated in a Harris County home repair program for the past 5 years if you have had minor repairs or the past 10 years from major repairs.
- The owner must live in the property following the completion of the home repairs.
There are cities in Harris County that are not eligible for this Harris County home improvement program and those are; Houston, Pasadena, and Baytown. Also if your property is within a hundred year flood plain without flood insurance, your property will not qualify for this home repair program.
How To Apply For The Harris County Home Repair Program
To apply you must complete an application. You can download a Harris County home repair application here or call 832-927-4957 to have one mailed to your home.
Rebuilding Together Houston
Rebuilding Together is another option for you if you are seeking home repair Assistance programs in Houston.
This home repair nonprofit provides the following types of assistance:
- Hurricane Harvey home repairs
- Veteran Home repairs in Houston
- Safety modifications and upgrades to homes
- General home repair in the Second Ward neighborhood
To learn more about these programs you can visit the Rebuild Together Houston website or call them at 713.659.2511.
City of Baytown Home Repair programs
The City of Baytown currently offers three Home repair type programs.
- Sewer Line Repair Program
- Operation Paintbrush
- Baytown First Time Homebuyer Program
Baytown Sewer Line Repair Program
This program helps low-income homeowners in Baytown to replace old sewer lines on their property.
Qualify for the Baytown sewer line repair program you must meet these requirements.
- The home is your primary residence
- Home is located in Baytown city limits
- Your property taxes are up to date
- Mortgage payments are current
- Household members must be legal residents of the U.S.
- Household income is less than 80% of the median income limits
- You received a notice from the Baytown Public Works Department
To apply for this Plumbing assistance program you will need to complete a sewer line application packet. To learn more about this program you can contact the Baytown Community Development Department at 281.420.5398.
Baytown Operation Paintbrush
The City of Baytown operation paintbrush program assists low-income Baytown families by offering a new coat of paint for their home.
To qualify for this program you must meet the following requirements
- Must live in a neighborhood improvement program area.
- The home must be your primary residence.
- Everyone in your household must be a legal resident of the U.S.
- You must not exceed 50% of the area median income
To Apply for this Baytown Home Improvement program you must complete an Operation Paintbrush Application. After completing the application you will need to submit it to the City of Baytown Community Development Department. For more information you can contact 281-420-5398.
Baytown First Time Homebuyer Program
The City of Baytown first time home buyer assistance program to Baytown residence. This program offers up to $9,000 in down payment assistance.
To Qualify for this down payment assistance program you must meet the following requirements
- 18 years and Older
- Be Able to obtain financing from a mortgage lender
- Complete a home buyers counseling program
- Contribute 2% of the cost of the home
- Earnings Must not exceed 80% of the area median income
To apply for down payment assistance you must complete the home buyer application packet. To learn more about this program you can refer to the city of Baytown home buyer brochure or call them at 281-420-5398.
City of Houston Lead Program
They City of Houston offers a free lead program will identify and remove harmful lead-based paint in your home.
The City of Houston Lead Based Paint Hazard Control Program offers help to low income families. The chart below shows you maximum income limits per household.
To learn more about the Houston Lead Program you can call the City of Houston Health Department at 832-393-5141 or visit the lead-based paint Hazard control program page.
Love Network Of Baytown: Building Wheel Chair Ramps For Seniors In Baytown
This Baytown non-profit helps low-income seniors in Baytown with small home repair projects and wheel chair ramps.
To qualify you must be a low-income senior citizen who lives in Baytown. The income requirements can be found on their website.
In addition to the home repair program in Baytown, Love Network also helps with food assistance, rent assistance, diapers, and more.
For more information you can contact this Baytown non-profit at 281.422.5683, visit the Love Network of Baytown website, or stop by their location at 206 N. Whiting St, Baytown, TX 77520.
Interfaith Caring Ministries: Minor Home Repairs For Seniors
Interfaith Caring Ministries provides a number of services to low-income residents in the League City/Clear Lake area. One service is minor home repairs for seniors who live near the Bay Area.
To be eligible for services you must live in the following areas/zip codes:
- Clear Creek, Friendswood ISD
- Clear Lake
In addition to the home repair program for seniors, this non-profit helps the community by offering a food pantry, rent/utility assistance program and more.
To learn more about the minor home repairs that are offered contact them at 281.332.3881, visit the Interfaith Caring Ministries website, or drop by their League City location at 151 Park Avenue, League City, TX 77573.
East Aldine District Home Repair Program
This Northeast Houston home repair program helps residents with major and minor repairs.
Major Home Repair Program
This Program is available homeowners who live in East Aldine or the Cloverleaf neighborhoods. This home repair program $80,000 for rehabilitation note to $135,000 for reconstruction.
Minor Home Repair Program
This program helps the cities of Deer Park, Galena Park, Jacinto City, Humble, LaPorte Morgan’s Point, Seabrook, Shoreacres, South Houston, Tomball, Webster, Katy.
Residents who qualify for this program an receive up to $20,000 in home repairs. Examples of repairs include roof repair and replacement, mechanical, electrical, plumbing assistance and other repairs.
This minor home repair program assist senior citizens 62 and older and individuals with disabilities in Harris County.
Income Limit For The Aldine Home Repair Program By Household Size
Compare your household size to the dollar amount to the right to see if you qualify for this program:
1 = $38,850
2 = $44,400
3 = $49,950
4 = $55,450
5 = $59,900
6 = $64,350
7 = $68,800
8 = $73,200
To learn more about this East Aldine home repair program you can contact 713-578-2059 or is it AldineDistrict.org.
Baker Ripley Weatherization Program
The Weatherization Assistance Program helps low income families in Houston to lower the cost their electricity bill. This program lowers the cost of utilities by making home improvements like:
- Installing attic insulation
- Adding wall insulation
- LED light bulbs
- Low flow showerheads and sink faucets
- Replacing older appliances with Energy Star rated appliances
- Seal areas where air seeps into your home
Qualifications Of The Weatherization Program
What was the caissons what is Houston weatherization program are:
- You must be a Harris County resident
- Show proof of income for the past 30 days
- Provide documents to verify the identity of each household member
- Show your current gas bill
You Must visit the Baker Ripley website, and then complete a weatherization assistance program eligibility pre-screen. This short survey will ask you questions in an effort to see if you potentially qualify for this program.
U.S. Weatherization Assistance Programs
If you live outside of the Houston area and you are interested in applying for a weatherization assistance program oh, you can visit energy.gov to find programs near you.
How To Find Home Repair Programs In Texas
To find a complete list all home repair programs in Texas you can visit the Texas Department of Housing and Community Affairs website. You will then need to click be home repair / accessibility modifications tab and then search for programs by city or county.
Medicare Home Improvements
If you have Medicare health coverage, it can be used to cover items that are medically necessary…
Typically this includes durable medical equipment, but in some cases it can even include home modifications if your doctor feels that it is medically necessary.
Below is a list durable medical equipment items and potential home modifications that can be covered by Medicare.
Durable Medical Equipment Covered By Medicare
Your Medicare Part B coverage covers 80% of the cost DME that your doctor considers to be medically necessary. Below are examples of DME items that your Medicare health insurance may cover:
- Hospital beds
- Patient lifts
- Oxygen tanks
- CPAP machines
- Portable toilets
Home Modifications That Could Be Covered By Medicare
It is rare that your doctor would recommend a home modification, however it can’t happen. And if your doctor does recommend a home modification then it will likely be covered by your Medicare insurance.
Below are examples of home modifications that Medicare could cover if your doctor recommends them:
- Grab bars – Is a fall risk in your home? Then your doctor could recommend that items like grab bars be installed. Typically grab bars are installed in places like a bathtub or a shower.
- Showers and tubs that are senior friendly – If you are at risk of falling your doctor could recommend that your bathroom be modified to fit a senior friendly shower or bathtub.
- Lift mechanism – A lift to help you get to a standing position might be something your doctor can suggest.
If you have a medical need for a home improvement project speak with your doctor to see if it is medically necessary to prevent an injury.
Home Modifications Covered By Medicaid
Medicaid is a state administered health insurance coverage that bases eligibility on income. If you have Medicaid (specifically Texas Star Plus) this could pay for the cost of home modifications.
What Is Texas Star Plus?
Texas Star Plus is a specific type of Medicaid health insurance plan. This particular plan provides benefits to adults with disabilities and seniors aged 65 and older. If you are covered by Star Plus, the plan can cover the cost of some minor home modifications.
Types Of Home Modifications That Texas Star Plus Offers
The Texas Medicaid plan Star Plus can help with home modifications to bathrooms, kitchens, front porches, offer safety adaptations, and more.
Below are examples of the home improvements assistance that is available to senior citizens and adults with disabilities.
- Bathroom modifications – These include sink, toilet, and bathtub modifications, building wheelchair accessible showers, adding urinals, and plumbing modifications for seniors.
- Kitchen modifications – Examples of kitchen upgrades are sink and plumbing modifications. The Star Plus program can make adjustments and additions to cabinets.
- Safety adaptations – This might involve widening a door for a wheelchair, adding ramps, installing grab bars, fixing electrical wiring, floor, porch, or patio leveling, widening a carport to accommodate a wheelchair, and adding padding to walls for individuals with a visual impairment. For a complete list of home modifications you can refer to the Star Plus handbook.
Items That Star Plus Does Not Offer
Star Plus will only offer home modifications that are medically necessary. While this following list of home repairs could benefit you, they are not considered medically necessary, therefore Star Plus will not cover their costs.
- Roof repair and replacement
- Fixing a leaky faucet
- Painting your home
- Exterminating your home for pests
Aging In Place Programs Houston
Aging in Place essentially means that a senior citizen is able to stay in their current home, remain independent and continue to carry out their daily living activities.
To accomplish this some older adults will need an adequate level of support, access to healthcare/food, and in some cases home modifications. In this section I will provide you with a listing of agencies that offer Aging In Place Specialist to provide consultation, quotes, and modifications to help you remain in your home.
Home Comfort Solutions
Home Comfort Solutions can help you age in place by offering minor home modifications and full remodeling. Some of the home modifications services that these Houston aging in place specialist offer are:
- Bathroom modifications for disabled adults
- Show modifications for seniors in Houston
- Installing wheelchair ramps in your home
- Ceiling lifts
For more information you can contact them at 713.623.1388, visit heir office, or Home Comfort Solutions website.
As I mentioned earlier, home repair programs in Houston or anywhere else typically have a great demand. Be persistent, but also be patient, when seeking help. It’s not unusual for these programs to run out of funding or have a waitlist due to those demands.
If you are a senior in Houston, have a disability, or you have a low-income, you are encouraged to contact these Houston home repair programs to learn more about available funding and when the best time to apply for help is.
Similar Articles That May Be Of Interest To You:
- Meals On Wheels Houston: How To Enroll In The Senior Home Meal Delivery Program
- Senior Food Box Program: Free Monthly Meals For Seniors In Houston
- Are You Ok Program: Home Visit Check Ins To Seniors In Harris County
Nick Bryant is a Counselor with 11 years of experience working in community health. He enjoys concerts, walks with the doggo and wife, mocking Dallas Cowboy fans, and sharing community resources. Jump on the Houston Case Managers email list to receive weekly community resource guides delivered directly to your inbox.