How to Replace Social Security Card with No Other Forms of ID

replace social security card no id

How to Replace Social Security Card with No Other Forms of ID

In this community resource guide, you will learn how to obtain a replacement Social Security card, even if you have no other forms of ID. 

Trying to get your Social with no other forms of ID can be challenging, but there are ways to accomplish this. 

I’m Nick Bryant a case manager with other 13+ years of experience helping clients solve problems like getting a replacement Social Security card. 

If you lost your Social Security card and don’t have many other documents, keep reading to learn what options you have to get a replacement card. 

You Must Have Original Documents To Replace Your Social Security Card

To replace your Social Security card, you must present original documents or certified copies. Photocopies or notarized copies are not accepted by the Social Security Administration.

In addition, all submitted documents must be current and not expired.

Replacing Your Social Security Card Online

If you meet certain requirements, you can apply for a replacement SSA card online. This method may be available to you if you:

  • Are 18 years old or older
  • Have a U.S. mailing address
  • Have a ‘My Social Security account

For more information on creating a My Social Security account and obtaining a replacement card online, visit the Social Security Number and Card website.

Documents Needed To Replace A Social Security Card

The most common documents that are used to replace a Social Security card are documents related to your U.S. citizenship or your identity. These are known as “primary documents”. Below are examples of each primary document:

  • Citizenship – U.S. birth certificate U.S. passport
  • Identity – U.S. driver’s license, State-issued non-driver identification card, U.S. passport

How To Replace Your Social Security Card If You Have No ID

If you cannot provide one of the primary documents, you may be able to use alternative identity documents to get your Social Security card. Examples of alternative ID’s that you can use to replace your Social Security card are:

  • Employee identification card
  • School identification card
  • Health insurance card (not a Medicare card)
  • U.S. military identification card

Like the primary documents, the alternative documents should be current, not expired, and show your name, identifying information (date of birth or age), and preferably a recent photograph. 

Using Your U.S. Passport For Proof Of Citizenship And Identity

In some cases, one document can serve as proof for multiple purposes. You passport is one example. You can use this document to prove your identity and U.S. Citizenship. 

Get Help In Your City Obtaining A Lost Social Security Card

There are also many nonprofits and free legal aid agencies in major cities that specialize in helping you obtain a lost Social Security card or another form of ID. You can find these organizations by calling the 211 Unitedway helpline. When you dial 211 you will be routed to the Unitedway that provides assistance to your city. Ask them about any “ID assistance programs” in your city and they should be able to connect you to help. 

In Houston, there are two organizations (Operation ID and Texas ID Connect) that help citizens obtain missing ID’s and Social Security cards. If you live in a major city, there are likely similar organizations. Again to find these organizations simply call your local Unitedway Helpline at 211 or visit the Unitedway “find my United Way” webpage. 


Replacing your Social Security card without other forms of identification like your birth certificate or state ID can present a problem, but is not impossible. 

If you do not have primary documents like your ID or birth certificate, consider other forms of ID like a school ID, insurance card, military ID, or even employee identification card. 

If you have questions about replacing your ID or if you need help finding a nonprofit in your city that can help you, simply comment below and I will follow up with you. I have worked in community resources for over 13+ years and have a solid understanding of how to find assistance programs like this so please let me know if I can help you. 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *