- Texas Kidney Health Care: Helping Low Income Seniors Pay For Dialysis In Texas
Texas Kidney Health Care: Helping Low Income Seniors Pay For Dialysis In Texas
Many people in Texas are struggling to afford the cost of dialysis. They often need to wait for months before they can get a spot on the list, and it is not uncommon for them to go without treatment during that time.
The Texas Kidney Health Care Program was designed with these patients in mind.
It helps low-income seniors by providing them with help paying for dialysis and other types of treatments related to the kidneys.
Continue reading to learn how you can enroll in this dialysis assistance program in Texas.
What Is Texas Kidney Health Care?
The Texas Kidney Health Care program uses funds to help seniors with end-stage renal disease pay for treatment related to the kidneys.
The services that this Texas dialysis program can potentially pay for include:
- Dialysis treatment
- Premiums related to your medications
- Travel to your dialysis treatments
These services can be provided in your home, a dialysis clinic, pharmacy, or hospital.
Who Manages The Kidney Health Care Program?
This program is managed by Texas Health and Human Services. This is the organization that you will have to apply with to receive assistance paying for dialysis treatments.
Eligibility For This Texas Kidney Assistance Program
Below are the requirements to receive kidney and dialysis assistance in Texas:
- You must live in Texas
- Your income is less than $60,000 per year
- Have a diagnosis of end-stage renal disease (ESRD) from a doctor
- You are receiving regular dialysis treatment
- Scheduled to have a kidney transplant
- You do not qualify for Medicaid medical or medication benefits
How To Apply For This Dialysis Assistance Program In Texas
To apply you must first visit a dialysis clinic that participates in the Kidney Health Care program.
Editor’s Note: I contacted Texas Health and Human Services to try obtaining a list of dialysis clinics that participate in this program, however, they were unable to provide a list due to the constant change of clinics in and out of the program. The best advice on finding a dialysis clinic that participates is to contact those that are in your local community and simply ask if they participate in the “Texas Kidney Health Care” program?
Once you’ve found a clinic you will need to have a social worker from the dialysis center help you to apply for the program.
The documents that are needed for the program include:
In addition, you will need to submit proof of the following:
- Proof of residency – Examples include a utility bill, voter registration card, mortgage payment receipt, ID card, Texas driver’s license
- Proof of income – Examples are paycheck stubs, a signed letter from your employer, a copy of your SSI check, unemployment benefits,
- Proof of insurance coverage – Provide a copy of the front and back of your health insurance card
- Proof of your Social Security number
Those medical records and personal documents will need to be faxed (512.206.3982) or emailed (KHC_Apply@HHS.Texas.gov). Please visit the Kidney Health Care website to confirm the fax and email.
Texas Kidney Health Care Application
You can download a Kidney Health Care Program Application by visiting the Texas Health and Human Services website.
Texas Kidney Health Care Phone Number
Contact 800.222.3986 if you have questions about this kidney assistance program in Texas. They accept calls from 8 am to 5 pm.
Kidney treatments can become very expensive if you do not have insurance. If you don’t have health insurance benefits and need help with paying your medical bills related to renal disease, then this is a great option that can provide assistance in order to receive dialysis treatment.
To receive help through the Texas Kidney Health Care program you will need to find a dialysis clinic near you that participates in this program. There is no list of participating dialysis centers, therefore it’s best to talk to your urologist or simply contact dialysis clinics in the area.
Once you’ve found a clinic that participates in this program a social worker will help you to gather all the necessary documents need to apply.
If you have more questions about this Texas kidney assistance program simply call 800.222.3986 or visit the Texas Kidney Health Care website.
Similar Articles That May Interest You:
- How To Find A Urologist In Houston No Matter Your Insurance
- Ultimate Guide To Diabetes Care In Houston
- How To Apply For Harris Health Gold Card
- 15 Low Cost Medical Clinics In Houston That Treat The Uninsured
Nick Bryant is a Counselor with 11 years of experience working in community health. He enjoys concerts, walks with the doggo and wife, mocking Dallas Cowboy fans, and sharing community resources. Jump on the Houston Case Managers email list to receive weekly community resource guides delivered directly to your inbox.