17 Cheap Or Free Clinics In Houston That Treat The Uninsured
Low-cost medical clinics are health care facilities that are staffed by doctors, nurses, and other workers who treat individuals who are typically considered low-income or uninsured.
These low cost clinics are important to the Houston neighborhoods they serve because roughly 20% of Houstonians are uninsured.
One of the benefits of living in Houston is access to literally the best healthcare services in the world. If you are uninsured and need to see a doctor, there is a good chance that you live within 10 minutes of a clinic that can treat you.
In this article, I will provide you with a list of 15 cheap clinics in the Houston area to visit if you are uninsured. In each listing, I’ve provided brief summaries of the services provided at these low income clinics. If you have a chronic condition or a special need these summaries will help you to make the best decision possible regarding where you go for help.
Before offering you the listing of no insurance clinics in Houston, let’s discuss an important term called FQHC.
What Are Houston FQHCs and How Do They Work?
First off FQHC stands for Federally Qualified Health Centers. The purpose of an FQHC is to provide health care services to underserved areas in the community. To receive treatment at an FQHC you do not need to be working or have health insurance. Because of this, FQHCs are ideal for anyone who is uninsured in Houston and needs medical care.
Are FQHC Clinics Free?
Many people refer to FQHCs as the “free clinics in Houston” however that is not entirely accurate.
While you do not need a job or insurance, these community clinics are not necessarily free. These low cost Houston clinics operate on what is called a “sliding scale”. This simply means they will bill you according to your ability to pay. The lower your income is, the lower the scale will slide in regard to your medical bill.
The bottom line is if you are uninsured in Houston, underinsured, or recently lost your job these are all good options for treatment.
What Services Are Provided At Houston FQHCs?
Many of the Houston low income clinics listed in this article provide services like those found below:
Low-Cost Medical Clinics In Houston
Below you will find a map, table, and a list of low-cost medical clinics in Houston.
These affordable clinics in Houston are also known as FQHCs or Federally Qualified Health Centers. While you do not need health insurance to receive medical treatment at these clinics they are not necessarily free.
These clinics do however operate on a sliding scale. What this means is you will be billed according to the income you make. In some cases, the payment “scale” can slide all the way to $0.
1. Bee Busy Wellness
Bee Busy Wellness Clinic is a low cost clinic in Houston with locations in SW Houston and the Clear Lake area.
For information about Bee Busy Wellness Center, you can call them at 713.771.2292.
New Patient Information
To become a new patient at a Bee Busy clinic see their patient portal to get started.
Here is a listing of medical services provided at Bee Busy clinics in Houston.
- Internal Medicine – helps to treat chronic conditions
- Family Medicine – primary care for the family to treat chronic conditions, the flu or a sore throat
- Women’s Health – well women exams, family planning, prenatal, pregnancy care, postpartum care, menopause
- Men’s Health – physical exams, check-ups, diet and exercise advise
- Pediatrics – immunizations, flu shots, child checks, and regular appointments, treat chronic conditions
- Dental – dental care for children and adults, routine exams, cleanings, extractions, removal of wisdom teeth, root canals, crowns, and bridges
- Behavioral Health – address stress, anxiety, and depression
Bee Busy Locations
Bee Busy has clinics located in SW Houston and the Clear Lake area.
- Main Clinic – 8785 W. Bellfort Houston, TX 77031
- West Wood – 9896 Bissonnet, Suite 625, Houston, TX 77036
- Clear Lake – 1300 Bay Area, Suite 200, Houston, TX 77058
- Satellite Clinic – 6400 West Park, Suite 200B, Houston, TX 77057
2. Central Care Community Health Center (Clinics are closed)
This is Houston’s oldest FQHC offering residents primary care, dental, and behavioral health services.
Central Care Clinic Locations In Houston
- South Park – 8610 MLK, Houston, TX 77033 – 713.734.0199 – (Clinics are closed)
- Acres Homes – 1102-A Pinemont, Houston, TX 77018 – 713.734.0199 – (Clinics are closed)
3. Christus Clinics ( East End St. Mary’s Clinic)
Christus Foundation for Healthcare has a unique set of Houston low-cost medical clinics because these clinics only work with individuals who have no insurance.
Services Offered At Christus Clinics
In addition to offering low-cost primary care in Houston, Christus clinics also treat the following:
- High Blood Pressure
- High Cholesterol
- Menstrual Problems
- Back and Joint Pains
- Minor Injuries
- Chiropractic Services
- Thyroid, kidney, liver, and heart conditions
Christus Clinic Locations In Houston
- East End – St. Mary’ s clinic – 2002 S. Wayside Dr, Houston, TX 77023 – 713.803.1840
- Dickinson – Point of Light clinic – 2401 Termini Street, Suite 100-D, Dickinson, TX – 713.803.1830
- School-Based Clinics – Here is a listing of schools that have a Christus clinic at their locations. Click HERE.
4. El Centro de Corazon
El Centro de Corazon has a number of low-cost doctor clinic in SE Houston.
To learn more about medical services at these clinics you can call 713.660.1880.
El Centro de Corazon Services
This clinic focuses on 4 areas of care:
- Dental – preventative care, cleanings, scaling, root canal, extractions, sealants
- Women’s Health – prenatal care, postpartum care, well women exams, family planning, testing for STDs, infertility evaluation, male circumcisions, biopsies, pelvic ultrasounds,
- Behavioral – psychiatric evals, med management, play therapy, individual and family therapy, parenting support group,
- Primary Care – well exams, sick visits, immunizations, chronic disease management, newborn screenings, hearing and vision screenings for children
El Centro de Corazon Locations In Houston
All of the El Centro medical clinics are located in southeast Houston.
- Eastwood – 412 Telephone, Houston, TX 77023
- Magnolia – 7037 Capitol Street, Suite N100, Houston, TX 77011
- John S. Dunn – 7635 Canal St, Houston, TX 77012
- Southeast – 5901 Long Drive, Suite 500, Houston, TX 77087
5. Good Neighbor Healthcare Center
Good Neighbor Healthcare Center is another option for anyone seeking a low-cost medical clinic in Houston. This low cost health clinic offers primary care, vision, and dental care.
Good Neighbor Healthcare Locations
- Heights Clinic – 190 Heights Blvd, Houston, TX 77007 – 713.529.3597
- University of Houston College of Optometry – 713.527.8480
6. Harris Health System (Gold Card)
Harris Health System is a safety net program for low-income residents of Harris County. Most Houston residents recognize Harris Health as the “Gold Card” clinic.
Note: If you are uninsured and have chronic conditions or you are in need of surgery, Harris Health is probably your best option for treatment. Other clinics on this list specialize in preventative services, but Harris Health can offer specialty care for complicated diagnosises.
New Patient Information
To receive treatment at Harris Health clinics you must apply for the “Gold Card”.
For more questions, you can call Harris Health at 713.566.6509.
Services Offered At Harris Health
Harris Health offers the most medical services of any clinic on this list. Some of those include:
- Primary Care
- Cancer Care
- Stroke Care
- Trauma Care
Harris Health Clinics
Here is a list of Harris Health clinics that offer primary care.
- Martin Luther King Health Center – 3550 Swingle Rd Houston, TX 77047 – 713.547.1000
- Acres Home Health Clinic – 818 Ringold St Houston, TX 77088 – 281.448.6391
- Aldine Health Center – 4755 Aldine Mail Route Houston, TX 77039 – 281.985.7600
- Baytown Health Center – 1602 Garth Rd Baytown, TX 77520 – 281.837.2700
- Casa de Amigos Health Center – 1615 N. Main St Houston, TX 77099 – 713.222.2272
- El Franco Lee Health Center – 8901 Boone Rd Houston, TX 77099 – 281.454.0500
- Gulfgate Health Center – 7550 Office City Drive Houston, TX 77012 – 713.495.3700
- Northwest Health Center – 1100 West 34th Street Houston, TX 77018 – 713.861.3939
- Settegast Health Center – 9105 North Wayside Drive Houston, TX 77028 – 713.633.2020
- Squatty Lyons Health Center – 1712 First Street E, Suite M20 Humble, TX 77338 – 281.446.4139
- Strawberry Health Center – 927 Shaw Ave Pasadena, TX 77506 – 713.982.5900
- Thomas Street Health Center – 2015 Thomas Street Houston, TX 77009 – 713.873.4000 (HIV/AIDS clients only, )
- Vallbona Health Center – 6630 DeMoss St Houston, TX 77074 – 713.272.2600
Harris Health Same Day Clinics
Some of the services offered are blood pressure checks, pregnancy testing, flu shots, treatments for sore/strep throat, sinus pain, headaches, UTI, nausea, cuts, sprains, and insect bites.
You can reach any of these clinics by calling 713.218.2697.
- Margo Hilliard Alford Clinic – 5550 Kelley St, Houston, TX – 713.218.2697
- Monroe Clinic – 8539 Gulf Freeway, Houston, TX 77017 – 713.218.2697
- Robindell Clinic – 5420 Dashwood, Suite 200, Houston, TX 77081
- Sareen Clinic (India House) – 8888 W. Bellfort, Houston, TX 77031
- Sunset Heights Clinic – 1623 Airline Dr, Suite 100-B, Houston, TX 77009
Harris Health Speciality Clinics
Harris Health also has a number of Speciality Clinics that treat chronic diseases, and offer geriatric care, dental care, and dialysis.
7. Hope Clinic
Hope Clinic is a Houston FQHC clinic that has most of its locations in SW Houston.
New Patient Appointment
To book an appointment at Hope Clinic you can call them at 713.773.0803 or book your appointment online.
Hope Clinic Services Offered
Not each clinic will offer the following services. To learn which services are available at a specific clinic go here.
- Primary Care – preventative, chronic disease management for men and women
- Pediatric – annual well-child exams, sick appointments
- Eye Care – offers frames, lines, contacts, routine eye exams, treats chronic eye diseases
- Behavioral Health – psychiatric services, med management, therapeutic counseling, play therapy, ADHD,
- Dental – exams, cleanings, fillings, extractions, sealants, pediatric dental, no root canals, braces, adult crown/veneers, dentures, or implants offered
- Nutrition Consultation
Hope Clinic Locations
Again most Hope Clinics are located in SW Houston, however, there is now one in the Aldine area.
- Main – 7001 Corporate Dr. Suite 120, Houston, TX 77036
- Alief – 14438 Bellaire Blvd, Houston, TX 77083
- West – 12121 Westheimer Rd Suite 205, Houston, TX 77077
- Aldine – 3000 Aldine Mail Route Rd, Building C, Suite 200, Houston, TX 77039
8. Avenue 360 Health and Wellness (formerly Houston Area Community Services)
Avenue 360 is a Houston FQHC that offers a number of medical resources to its clients.
New Patient Appointments
To schedule a new patient appointment you can call them at 713.426.0027 or go online for more information.
Services Offered At Avenue 360
Here are some of the services offered at these clinics.
- Medical – family practice, internal medicine, well women exams, low cost OBGYN, pediatrics, pharmacy,
- Dental – cleanings, sealants, oral medicine, prosthodontics, crowns, bridges, dentures, periodontics, root canal therapy, oral surgery,
- Behavioral – psychiatry, mental health, substance abuse, medical case management,
- Housing and Supportive Services – offers adult daycare, HOPWA housing for individuals with HIV/AIDS, permanent supportive housing, Rapid Re-Housing, SOAR Case Management to help homeless individuals obtain SSI benefits
There are 9 Avenue 360 Clinics located throughout the city.
- Humble – 9816 Memorial Blvd Suite 120, Humble, Tx 77338 – 281.570.2525
- Main Campus – 2150 West 18th Street, Suite 300, Houston, TX 77008 – 713.426.0027
- Memorial City – 902 Frostwood, Suite 142 (Memorial Hermann Hospital) Houston, TX 77024 – 713.827.8266
- Montrose (Dental) – 1427 Hawthorne St, Houston, TX 77006 – 713.341.3790
- Montrose (Day Activities) – 1429 Hawthorne St, Houston, TX 77006 – 713.341.3750
- Montrose (Omega House – Hospice/Medical Respite) – 602 Branard St. Houston, TX 77006 – 713.523.7110
- South Central – 4405 Griggs Rd, Houston, TX 77021 – 832.962.4111
- Southwest – 14095 S. Main St, Houston, TX 77035 – 832.830.8345
- Spring Cypress – 17010 Sugar Pine Dr, Houston, TX 77090 – 281.537.8627
9. Legacy Community Health Services
Legacy Community Health is one of the largest FQHC clinics in Houston and a good option for healthcare if you are uninsured.
New Patient Appointments
To schedule an appointment at Legacy you can call them at 832.548.5000 or schedule online.
Medical Services Offered At Legacy
Here is a comprehensive list of medical services offered at Houston area Legacy clinics.
- Adult Medicine – physical exams, chronic disease management, men/women screenings,
- Behavioral Health – depression, bipolar, anxiety, schizophrenia, ADHD, developmental delays, learning disabilities,
- Dental Care – children’s dentistry, dental cleanings, dental exams/screenings, fillings, urgent care for extreme toothaches and cracked molars
- Endocrinology – hormonal care, diabetes, pituitary disorders, osteoporosis, lipid disorders, high cholesterol, thyroid problems, metabolic disorders, adrenal glands,
- Geriatrics – annual exams, chronic disease, constipation, falls, incontinence, anxiety, Alzheimer’s, end of life planning
- HIV/STD Screenings – free testing for HIV, STD, pregnancy, PrEP
- LGBTQ Services – HIV/STD screening, transgender specialty care, vision tests, social services,
- OBGYN and Maternity – birth planning, contraceptive counseling, free pregnancy tests, prenatal care, routine annual examinations, routine ultrasound, STI,
- Pediatrics – well-child visits, sports physicals, adolescent care, lactation consulting,
- Pharmacy – fills prescriptions, prescription delivery, med counseling, smoking cessation, immunizations,
- Vaccinations and Immunizations – flu, hepatitis B, DTP, HPV, back to school shots,
- Vision – eye exams, diabetic visions, glaucoma testing, HIV vision exams, contact lenses, prescription glasses, frames, lens,
Legacy Community Health Clinics in Houston
Here is a list of Legacy Clinics that can provide you with low-cost medical services.
- MapleRidge Clinic – 6550 Mapleridge St Suite 106 Houston, TX 77081 – 713.779.7200
- Southwest Clinic – 6441 High Star Houston, TX 77074 – 832.548.5300
- Baker-Ripley Clinic – 6500 Rookin St, Building B, Suite 200 Houston, TX 77074 – 713.351.7350
- Montrose Clinic – 1415 California St Houston, TX 77006 – 832.548.5100
- Branard Clinic – 401 Branard St, Level 3 Houston, TX 77006 – 713.366.7444
- Bissonnet Clinic – 12667 Bissonnet Houston, TX 77099 – 281.498.6100
- Lyons Clinic – 3811 Lyons Ave Houston, TX 77020 – 832.548.5400
- Santa Clara Clinic – 5616 Lawndale St Suite A108 Houston, TX 77023 – 713.921.0075
- San Jacinto Clinic – 4301 Garth Rd Houston, TX 77521 – 281.420.8400
- Deer Park Clinic – 3430 Center St Houston, TX 77536 – 281.628.2040
10. Pasadena Community Health Center
Pasadena Community Health Center offers low-cost medical treatment to individuals in Pasadena Texas and the surrounding areas.
To learn more about their services you can call them at 713.893.5411.
Services Offered At Pasadena Community Health Center
Here are the medical services offered at this clinic.
- Family practice – vaccines, pharmacy, sports physicals, diabetic care, smoke cessation, hypertension, asthma, well women exams,
- Dental services – dental exams, x-rays, cleanings, deep scaling, fillings, crowns, dentures, partials, root canal therapy, extractions,
- Affordable OBGYN providers
- Pediatric – well-child exams, sports physicals, dental services, audiometer testing, vaccines,
- Senior Adults – annual flu shots, diabetes, hypertension, asthma,
- Counseling – counseling for depression, anger, grief counseling, anxiety, bipolar, smoking cessation, chemical dependency, parenting skills, ADHD,
- Internal Medicine – diabetes, osteoporosis, endocrine, heart problems, thyroid, women’s health issues,
- General Services – pharmacy, lab, x-rays, ultrasounds,
Pasadena Health Center Location
They have one clinic located in Pasadena.
- Pasadena Health Center – 908 Southmore Pasadena, TX 77502
11. Spring Branch Community Health Center
Spring Branch Community Health Centers provides low-cost primary care to individuals in Houston.
New Patient Appointment
To schedule an appointment with Spring Branch Community Health you can call one of their clinics or schedule online.
These are the services offered at this West Houston low-cost medical clinic.
- Family Medicine – primary health care, cancer screenings, pregnancy test, vaccines, family planning, STD screening and treatment
- Behavioral Health – counseling and therapy for anxiety, bipolar, grief counseling, counseling for sexual assault or domestic violence
- Labs – screen for high cholesterol, diabetes, electrolyte imbalances, anemia,
- Pediatric Services – well-child screenings, vaccines, Tdap, Hepatitis A, flu shots, school physicals, sick visits,
- Prenatal Care – care for mother and child
- Postpartum Care
- Women’s Health – primary care, well women exams, cancer screening, pregnancy tests, family planning, STD screenings
Spring Branch Community Health Centers In Houston
There are 6 Spring Branch clinics located in West Houston.
- Hillendahl – 1615 Hillendahl Blvd St 100, Houston, TX 77055 713.462.6565
- WholeLife – 1839 Jacquelyn Rd, Houston, TX – 77055 – 713.462.6565
- West Hou – 19333 Clay Rd, Katy, TX 77449 – 713.462.6555
- Pitner – 8575 Pitner Rd, Houston, TX 77080 – 713.462.6545
- Katy – 5501 1st Street Katy, TX 77493 – 713.231.5757
- Cy-Fair – 7777 Westgreen Blvd Cypress, TX 77433 – 713.387.7180
12. St. Hope Foundation
St. Hope Foundation is a Houston area FQHC that treats both the insured and uninsured.
New Patient Appointment
To book an appointment you can call St. Hope at 713.778.1300 or schedule online.
St. Hope offers a number of different medical services like:
- Primary care
- Dental implants
- Prevention services
- HIV care
- Well-women care
- Diabetes care
- Vision Program
- Behavioral Therapy
- Specialty Pharmacy
- Clinical Trails
- Hepatitis Treatment
- Bellaire – 6800 West Loop South, Suite 560, Bellaire, TX 77401-713.839.7111
- Conroe – 1414 S. Frazier, Suite 105/106, Conroe, TX 77301 – 936.441.2440
- Greenspoint – 255 Northpoint, Suite 200, Houston, TX 77060 – 832.300.8040
- Sugar Land – 14815 Southwest Freeway, Sugar Land, TX 77478 – 281.277.8571
- Dickinson – 3750 Medical Park Drive, Suite 150, Dickinson, TX 77539 – 713.955.4821
13. Vecino Health Centers (Denver Harbor Clinic)
Vecino Health Centers has 2 low-cost medical clinics in Houston.
New Patient Appointments
To schedule, an appointment with Vecino Clinic call them at 713.695.4013 or visit them online.
Services Offered At Vecino Health Centers
- Primary Care – well-child visits, sick visits, routine physical exams, immunizations, sports, and school physicals,
- Dental Care
- Counseling – behavioral problems in children, depression, anxiety, problems at school, individual, group, couples therapy,
Vecino Health Center Locations
- Airline Children’s Clinic – 5808 Airline Drive, Houston, TX – 713.695.4013
- Denver Harbor Clinic – 424 Hahlo Street, Houston, TX – 713.674.3326
14. IBN Sina Clinics
IBN Sina offers 6 Houston healthcare clinics that offer low-cost medical services to individuals who are uninsured and have low-incomes.
- Medical – Minor procedures, lab work, nebulizations, school physicals, immunizations, immigration physicals, well women/men exams,
- Dental – dental exams, rays, scaling, deep cleaning, sealants, fluoride treatment, tooth whitening, simple extractions, surgical extractions, tooth-colored fillings, crown, partial dentures, root canal treatment, complete dentures,
- Specialty Clinics – gynecology, cardiology, dermatology, gastroenterology, nephrology, optometry, orthopedics, podiatry, psychiatry, urology, neurology, neurosurgery
- Diagnostic Services – Blood tests, x-rays, ultrasound, EKG, echocardiogram,
- Wilcrest Medical Clinic – 11226 S. Wilcrest Dr. Houston, TX 77099 – 281.977.7462
- Wilcrest Dental Clinic – 11224 S. Wilcrest Dr. Houston, TX 77099 – 281.977.74627
- Wilcrest Children’s Clinic – 11220 S. Wilcrest Dr. Houston, TX 77099 – 281.495.7462
- South Post Oak Medical + Dental Clinic – 16345 S. Post Oak Rd. Houston, TX 77053 – 281.438.7462
- N. Shepherd Medical + Dental Clinic – 5012 N. Shepherd Dr, Houston, TX 77018 – 713. 695.7462
- Clear Lake Medical + Dental Clinic – 15132 Highway 3 Houston, TX 77598 – 281.990.7462
15. San Jose Clinic
San Jose Clinic offers affordable medical care in Houston to both children and adults.
Note: San Jose Clinic is open to everyone, however, it was created to address the infant mortality rate in the hispanic community. Today the clinic continues to serve the Houston latino community.
They offer two medical clinics which are located in Houston’s Midtown and Rosenberg.
- Midtown – 2615 Fannin St, Houston, TX 77002 – 713.228.9411
- Rosenberg – 1615 Avenue E, Houston, TX 77471 – 832.945.6711
The following services are offered:
- Adult primary care
- Labs, ultrasounds, x-rays
- OBGYN, cervical screenings and mamograms
- Counseling and psychiatry
- Cardiology, dermatology, endocrinology, internal medicine, neurology, orthopedics, otolaryngology, physical therapy, podiatry, rheumatology, urology,
- Vision, ophthalmology, optometry
- General care, hygiene, fillings, root canals, crowns, extractions, dentures,
- Pharmacy prescriptions, refills, prescription assistance program,
For more information, you can call them at 713.228.9411 or visit the San Jose Clinic website.
16. Memorial Hermann Houston (Neighborhood Health Centers)
This is another option for affordable healthcare in Houston, even if you are uninsured. The Neighborhood Health Centers are managed by Memorial Hermann and offer primary care and treatment for chronic conditions like diabetes, high blood pressure, and other medical conditions. Again, this is a location that you can visit if you are seeking a no health insurance clinic in Houston Texas.
Below are their locations:
- Heights – Memorial Hermann Neighborhood Health Center – 1800 W. 26th Suite 103, Houston, TX – 713.957.8400
- Humble – Northeast Memorial Herman Neighborhood Health Center – 19333 Highway 59 North Suite 280, Houston, TX 77338 – 832.658.5530
- Beechnut – Southwest Memorial Herman Neighborhood Health Center – 7600 Beechnut Suite A, Houston, TX 77074 – 713.465.4280
For more information about services provided visit the Houston Memorial Hermann website to learn about the Neighborhood Health Centers they offer.
17. TRS Health (Low-Cost Stafford Texas Medical Clinic)
TRS Health is a clinic that offers affordable healthcare to residents in SW Houston and Stafford Texas. At this clinic you do not need health insurance to get treated.
Some of the medical services offered at TRS include:
- Primary care
- Mental health services
- Digestive and Liver Specialist
- Lab services
To learn more about TRS Health services or schedule an appointment you can call them at 281.385.8554. You can visit them at 3727 Greenbriar Drive, Suite 114, Stafford, TX 77477 or simply visit the TRS Health website.
One of the problems that people who do not have a doctor encounter is the lack of medical advice from a professional.
Often times these patients will visit the emergency room for care, only to be sent home 5, 6, or 8 hours later with no real strategy for addressing their illness. At many ERs if your illness is not life-threatening you will be discharged quickly. The reason being is they need to save beds for patients who have potentially fatal medical conditions like problems breathing, cardiac emergencies, car crash, or gunshot victims.
Even if you were to receive medications while at the ER, you’ll need a doctor to follow up with to obtain new prescriptions or report any side effects. In rare cases will an ER doctor write a new script for you after you’ve been discharged. Instead, they will encourage you to find your own doctor…
This brings us to the importance of contacting clinics like these especially if you are uninsured.
Even if you lack health insurance, you can find affordable doctors at places like these clinics, so if there is one close to your location call them for an appointment.
If you need medical questions answered right now you can always contact the Nurse Healthline at 713.338.7979. This is a 24-hour call center that is staffed by nurses who can answer your healthcare questions and provide you with suggestions on medical care.
Nick Bryant is the author of Understanding Healthcare Is Half The Battle and a Senior Counselor with 13+ years of experience working in community health and mental health. He enjoys spending time with his family, watching WWE on Friday nights, and working toward a Google Data Analytics certification. If you have additional questions about community resources or government assistance programs, simply leave a comment below and he will follow up as soon as possible.