Austin Food Stamps: How To Apply For SNAP Benefits In Travis County
In this post, I’ll show you how to apply for food stamps in Austin, Texas. If you’re eligible for state assistance like Medicaid, CHIP, or TANF, you may be qualified for SNAP food aid. This program helps low-income households in Texas meet their nutritional needs. Continue reading to learn how to apply for food stamps in Austin, TX.
What Are SNAP Benefits?
This is a federal government program that aids low-income families with the cost of food. The term “food stamps” refers to this system and is commonly used. The official name, however, is SNAP, which stands for Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program.
Who Manages The Texas Food Stamps Program?
The Texas Department of Human Services is responsible for the food stamp program. To receive SNAP benefits, you must first contact this department. It’s worth noting that the Texas Department of Health and Human Services runs Medicaid, CHIP, TANF (welfare), Medicaid Retroactive Coverage, and other government assistance programs.
Eligibility For SNAP benefits In Texas
In Texas, most SNAP benefits are usually given to low-income families. Low-income adults in Austin who are 18 to 49 years old with no children and low-income can get SNAP benefits. However, the assistance will only be valid for three months. Food stamp benefits in Texas may be extended if you work 20 hours a week or are enrolled in a training program for more than three months. Generally, the Texas SNAP program does not require low-income pregnant women and persons with disabilities to work to receive food stamps.
Texas Food Stamp Income Limits
|Household Size||Income Limits For Food Stamps In Texas|
|Each additional person||$616|
Maximum Monthly SNAP Benefits In Texas
This is the monthly Texas SNAP benefit amount you could receive, depending on your family size.
|Household Size||Maximum Monthly SNAP Benefits (Texas)|
|Each additioanl person||$153|
We’ve put up a resource guide to assist you in maximizing your food stamp benefits called 4 Steps To Increase Your Monthly Food Stamp Benefits.
Documents Need To Apply For SNAP Benefits In Austin
Here’s a quick summary of all of the documents you’ll need to submit when applying for SNAP benefits.
- ID: A driver’s license, school or work ID, medical insurance ID, voter registration card, birth certificate, or other identification are required.
- Proof of Address: Utility bills, rent, mortgage receipts showing address or a Voter’s ID are all considered proof of address.
- Proof of Income: check stubs, employment statement, social security, supplemental security income or veteran’s benefits, alimony, unemployment, retirement, or disability benefits
- Immigration Status: Documents related to immigration and naturalization
- Expenses: Mortgage and credit card payments, property taxes, home insurance, child care expenses, electricity and gas costs
- Medical Expenses: Hospital bills, detailed receipts showing unreimbursed medical expenses, prescriptions bottles showing cost on label or printout, medical payment agreementHow To Apply For Food Stamps In Texas (the easiest way)How To Apply For Food Stamps In Tex...
- Verify Resources: Certificates of deposits, savings accounts, stock shares or bonds, and rental property documentation are just a few examples.
How To Apply For Texas Food Stamps Online
To begin the application process for Texas food stamps online, you must first go to YourTexasBenefits.com. This site is run by the Texas Department of Health and Human Services, so you may also apply for government aid like Medicaid and CHIP while you’re there.
How To Apply For Texas Food Stamps By Phone
To apply for food stamps by phone, call the Texas Department of Health and Human Services Commission at 877.541.7905. Applying for SNAP by phone is an option, but this could be a lengthy process. If you choose to apply for food stamps by phone, see our guide titled How To Navigate The Texas Health and Human Services Helpline to assist you with talking to a live 211 operator faster.
How To Find An Austin Food Stamp Office Near Me (How To Apply In Person)
To apply for food stamps in person, you must first go to a Texas Department of Health and Human Services office in Austin, TX.
Here’s a list of Texas Health and Human Services offices in Austin. You can apply for SNAP, Medicaid, or CHIP at any of these places.
- Round Rock Food Stamp Office – 1101 East Old Settlers Blvd Suite 100, Round Rock, TX, 78664 – 512.244.1592
- San Marcos Food Stamp Office – 1901 DUTTON DR STE C, SAN MARCOS, TX, 78666 – 512.753.2201
- North Austin Food Stamp Office – 5451 North IH 35, Suite D, AUSTIN, TX, 78723 – 512.929.7330
- East Austin Food Stamp Office – 7701 METROPOLIS, BUILDING 12, SUITE 100, AUSTIN,TX,78744 – 512.445.0022
Download Your Texas SNAP Application
Click HERE to download your SNAP application.
Using The EBT Card (Texas Food Stamps)
After you’ve been accepted for SNAP, you may shop for food using your EBT (Electronic Benefits Transfer) or Lone Star Card. You should use your EBT Card the same way that you would a debit card. Your account will be charged each time you utilize your EBT Card.
How To Apply For Emergency Food Stamps (Expedited SNAP Benefits)
The Texas Department of Health and Human Services will expedite your application for food stamps in certain cases. If you qualify, emergency food assistance can be supplied within 24 hours. You must fulfill one of the following conditions to be eligible for accelerated SNAP benefits in Texas:
- All household members are seasonal or migrant workers and are destitute, with less than $100 in funds
- The household has less than $100 in funds, and its monthly gross income is under $150
- The monthly household income and cash is less than the household’s monthly housing expenses
Search for this part if you apply for food assistance online or by paper. The Texas Department of Health and Human Services will evaluate your answers in this category to see whether your situation is critical and whether you qualify for emergency SNAP benefits.
There is no special Texas emergency food stamp application. You fill out the same paperwork as you would for regular SNAP benefits. You may apply online at Your Texas Benefits to get started. The Texas Department of Insurance will determine whether or not you qualify for expedited food stamps depending on your situation.
Help With Food Stamp Applications In Austin Texas
You can contact the Central Texas Food Bank to get assistance completing a Texas SNAP application. This agency has trained staff members who can help you to apply for food stamps, Medicaid, CHIP, and other supportive services.
Call this Austin food bank’s phone number at 855.366.3401 to make an appointment to get help filling out your Texas food stamp application.
To apply for food stamps in Austin you have 3 options:
- Apply online by visiting YourTexasBenefits.com.
- You can call the Texas Health and Human Services Commission to apply for SNAP benefits by phone. The Texas food stamps phone number is 877.541.7905.
- Apply in person at a SNAP/food stamp office in Austin, TX.
If you have any questions regarding how to apply for SNAP benefits in Austin, want a food stamp application, or anything else, please leave a comment below and I will respond to help you out.
Similar Articles That May Be Of Interest To You:
- 4 Steps To Increase Your Monthly Food Stamp Benefits
- How To Apply For Emergency Food Stamps In Texas
- Medical Access Program: Healthcare In Austin For The Uninsured
- How To Apply/Renew Your Texas ID Or Driver’s License
- How To Find A Towed Car In Austin Texas
Nick Bryant is a Counselor with 11 years of experience working in community health. He enjoys concerts, walks with the doggo and wife, mocking Dallas Cowboy fans, and sharing community resources. Jump on the Houston Case Managers email list to receive weekly community resource guides delivered directly to your inbox.