- Find Houston Food Stamp Offices To Apply For SNAP
- What Are SNAP Benefits?
- Who Manages The Texas Food Stamps Program?
- Eligibility For SNAP benefits In Texas
- Texas Food Stamp Income Limits
- Maximum Monthly SNAP Benefits In Texas
- Documents Need To Apply For SNAP Benefits
- How To Apply For Texas Food Stamps Online
- How To Apply For Texas Food Stamps By Phone
- How To Apply For SNAP Benefits At A Local Food Stamp Office
- Houston Food Stamp Offices
- Download Your Texas SNAP Application
- Using The EBT Card (Texas Food Stamps)
- How To Apply For Emergency Food Stamps (Expedited SNAP Benefits)
Find Houston Food Stamp Offices To Apply For SNAP
In this guide, I will show you how to apply for SNAP benefits in Houston.
If you currently receive state benefits like Medicaid, CHIP, or TANF you could qualify for SNAP food benefits. This program helps Texas families who are considered low income to afford nutritious meals.
I’m Nick Bryant, founder of HoustonCaseManagers.com, where we assist medical professionals and Harris County residents to apply for financial assistance programs like food stamps.
Continue reading to learn more about how to apply for food stamps in Houston.
What Are SNAP Benefits?
SNAP is a federal food assistance program that helps families with the cost of food. Most people recognize this program as the “food stamps” program. SNAP is the official name for this Texas food benefits program and this acronym stands for Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program.
Who Manages The Texas Food Stamps Program?
The Texas Health and Human Services Commission manages the food stamp program. To apply for SNAP benefits you will have to go through this department. It should also be noted that Texas Health and Human Services is the place that you would apply for Medicaid, CHIP, TANF (welfare), Medicaid Retroactive Coverage, and other government assistance programs.
Eligibility For SNAP benefits In Texas
SNAP food benefits are typically awarded to low-income families in Texas.
Adults who are 18 to 49 years old and have no children can receive SNAP benefits for only 3 months during a 3 year period. Your benefit period can be extended if you work 20 hours a week or you are enrolled in a job training program. Low-income pregnant women and adults with disabilities may not have to work to receive food stamps in Texas.
Texas Food Stamp Income Limits
This chart provides you with estimates of the maximum monthly household income you can make and still receive food stamps in Texas.
|Household Size||Income Limits For Food Stamps (Texas)|
|Each additional person||$616|
Maximum Monthly SNAP Benefits In Texas
Here is the monthly amount of Texas SNAP benefits you could receive based on your family size.
|Household Size||Maximum Monthly SNAP Benefits (Texas)|
|Each additional person||$153|
To ensure that you receive the max amount of food stamps that you are entitled to see our guide called 4 Steps To Increase Your Monthly Food Stamp Benefits.
Documents Need To Apply For SNAP Benefits
This is a general guideline of documents needed to apply for SNAP benefits:
- ID: driver’s license, school or work ID, medical insurance ID, voter’s registration card, birth certificate
- Proof of Address: library card showing address, voter’s registration card, utility bills, rent, or mortgage receipts showing address
- Proof of Income: check stubs, employment statement, social security, supplemental security income or veteran’s benefits, alimony, unemployment, retirement, or disability benefits
- Immigration Status: immigration/naturalization documents
- Expenses: rent or mortgage payments, property taxes, insurance on the property, child care costs, utilities (gas, water, electricity)
- Medical Expenses: summary of provided services such as doctor or hospital visits, detailed receipts showing unpaid medical expenses, prescriptions bottles showing cost on label or printout, medical payment agreement
- Verify Resources: bank accounts, savings accounts, stock shares or bonds, proof of rental properties
How To Apply For Texas Food Stamps Online
To apply for food stamps online you will need to visit YourTexasBenefits.com. This website is managed by Texas Health and Human Services, therefore you can also apply for government assistance programs like Medicaid and CHIP at Your Texas Benefits.
How To Apply For Texas Food Stamps By Phone
Call the Texas Health and Human Services Commission at 877.541.7905 to apply for food stamps by phone.
Applying for food stamps over the phone can be a lengthy process. If you choose to apply for SNAP benefits by phone, see our guide titled How To Navigate The Texas Health and Human Services Helpline, if you have trouble reaching an operator.
How To Apply For SNAP Benefits At A Local Food Stamp Office
There are two main agencies that offer face-to-face assistance with completing a food stamp application. Those agencies are:
* Texas Health and Human Services Commission
* City of Houston Health Department
In the following sections, we will provide you with a map of each food stamp office in Houston. We will also explain how Texas Health and Human Services and the City of Houston Health Department can help you apply for food stamps.
Houston Food Stamp Offices
Texas Health and Human Services
If you have ever wondered “where is a Houston food stamp office near me” this section will answer that question.
This listing of Texas Health and Human Services offices in Houston can help you apply for benefits like SNAP, Medicaid, and more.
- Baytown – 1300 South Highway 146, Baytown, TX 77520 – 281.427.9480
- Pasadena –2708 Cherrybrook Lane, Pasadena, TX 77502, 713.947.8130
- Fuqua – 10060 Fuqua Street, Houston, TX 77089 – 713.946.6861
- Harwin – 9450 Harwin Drive, Houston, TX 77036- 713.266.5536
- I-10 East- 10202 I-10 East, Houston, TX 77029, 713.673.6347
- Third Ward- 6124 Scott Street, Houston, TX 77021- 713.748.8450
- Telephone- 2110 Telephone Rd, Houston, TX- 713.921.5108
- N. Houston Rosslyn Center- 8511 N. Houston Rosslyn Rd, Houston, TX 77088 – 713.895.6800
- I-45 North – 3880 North Fwy, Houston, TX 77022- 512.424.6500
- Greenspoint – 220 Meadowfern Drive, Houston, TX 77067 – 281.874.0048
- Buffalo Speedway – 13838 Buffalo Speedway. Houston, TX 77045 – 713.433.3145
- Highway 6 – 2133 S. Texas 6, Houston, TX 77077 – 281.597.5200
- Galveston – 123 Rosenberg Street, Galveston, TX 77550 – 409.763.0277
- Texas City – 2000 Texas Avenue #405, Texas City, TX 77590 – 409.945.0317
- Tomball – 29250 249, Tomball, TX 77375 – 281.351.0637
City of Houston Multi-Service Centers
You can also apply for food stamps in person at a City of Houston Multi-Service Center.
These locations do not accept walk-in visits for food stamp assistance. To schedule an appointment, you will have to call the City of Houston Health Department appointment line at 832.393.5427.
Ask for an appointment with a “Client Access Specialist” who will help you to apply for food stamps. Client Access can also help you to apply for Gold Card, Medicaid, CHIP, and Texas Women’s Health Program.
Download Your Texas SNAP Application
Click HERE to download your SNAP application.
Using The EBT Card (Texas Food Stamps)
The EBT (electronic benefits transfer) or Lone Star Card is used to make food purchases once you are approved for SNAP. You will use your EBT Card the same way that you would use a debit card. With each purchase that you make with your EBT Card, your account will be charged.
How To Apply For Emergency Food Stamps (Expedited SNAP Benefits)
There are certain situations where the Texas Health and Human Services Commission will expedite your food stamp application. If you qualify for emergency food stamps you could receive your benefits in less than 24 hours. To qualify for expedited SNAP benefits in Texas you will need to meet one of the following qualifications:
- All household members are seasonal or migrant workers and are destitute with less than $100 in funds
- The household has less than $100 in funds and its monthly gross income is under $150
- The monthly household income and cash is less than the household’s monthly housing expenses
If you file for food stamps online or with a paper application, look for this section below. Your answers in this section will signal to the Texas Health and Human Services that your situation is emergent and potentially qualify you for emergency SNAP benefits.
You do not need to complete a special application to receive emergency food stamps. Simply apply for food stamps online at Your Texas Benefits or by phone (877.541.7905) and the Texas Health and Human Services will determine if you qualify.
If you are seeking a financial assistance program to help your family, you should consider the SNAP program. This government food assistance program can help you to pay for groceries. Best of all this program provides you with funds each month to buy food for your family. To apply for food stamps in Houston you have 3 options:
- Apply online by visiting YourTexasBenefits.com.
- You can call the Texas Health and Human Services Commission to apply for SNAP benefits by phone. The Texas food stamps phone number is 877.541.7905.
- Apply in person at a foodstamp office in Houston.
If you still have questions about how to apply for SNAP benefits in Houston, need a food stamp application, or anything else, leave a comment below and I will respond to you.
Similar Articles That May Be Of Interest To You:
- 4 Steps To Increase Your Monthly Food Stamp Benefits
- How To Apply For Emergency Food Stamps In Texas
- Where To Find Houston Food Pantries To Feed Your Family
Nick Bryant is a Counselor with 11 years of experience working in community health. He enjoys concerts, walks with the doggo and wife, mocking Dallas Cowboy fans, and sharing community resources. Jump on the Houston Case Managers email list to receive weekly community resource guides delivered directly to your inbox.