- Free STD Testing In Houston: Quickly Gets Results While Remaining Anonymous
- Free STD Testing In Houston
- AIDS Foundation Houston STD and HIV Testing In Houston
- Avenue 360 HIV Testing In Houston
- Baylor College of Medicine Testing In Houston
- Bee Busy STD Testing In Houston
- Ben Taub Hospital’s HIV Testing In Houston
- Bread Of Life STD Testing In Houston
- Central Care STD Testing In Houston
- Change Happens STD Testing In Houston
- City of Houston Health Center STD Testing In Houston
- Harris County Public Health STD Testing In Houston
- Houston Clubs Offering STD / HIV Testing
- Healthcare For The Homeless STD Testing
- LBJ Hospital’s HIV Testing In Houston
- Legacy Community Health STD Testing In Houston
- Montrose Center HIV Testing In Houston
- Planned Parenthood STD Testing In Houston
- St. Hope STD Testing In Houston
- Thomas Street Hospital HIV Testing
- STD Testing FAQ
Free STD Testing In Houston: Quickly Gets Results While Remaining Anonymous
Free STD testing is available throughout the entire city of Houston and in this guide, I will provide you with a number of options that you can consider.
No matter which area of Houston you are reading this from, there is a free clinic located just minutes from your current address.
Like most of our guides this one allows you to find resources in two ways:
- Via a map of STD testing sites in Houston
- A list of testing locations
Editor’s note: At the end of this article you can find FAQs regarding STD testing questions you may have regarding symptoms, how testing works, and more.
Free STD Testing In Houston
If you are unsure where to get an STD test in Houston, simply use the map or listings below.
AIDS Foundation Houston STD and HIV Testing In Houston
AIDS Foundation Houston (AFH) offers both free HIV and syphilis testing. This is also one of the select clinics that offer PrEP in Houston.
AIDS Foundation is a walk-in clinic. Visit their office at 6260 Westpark Dr. Suite 100, Houston, TX 77057 during business hours for free HIV and syphilis testing. To schedule an appointment call this HIV testing site at 713.623.6796.
Avenue 360 HIV Testing In Houston
Avenue 360 clinics provide low-cost medical treatment as well as STD and HIV testing in Houston.
Simply call Avenue 360 at 713.426.0027 to schedule your appointment.
There is one HIV testing site located in the Heights area.
- Heights – 2150 W 18th Street, Houston, TX 77008 – 713.426.0027
Baylor College of Medicine Testing In Houston
BCM offers free HIV and STD testing in Houston.
BCM offers services to females aged 13 – 24 and males 13 – 24 years old.
Baylor tests for these STDS:
- HPV Vaccine
The Baylor College testing locations are:
- LBJ Hospital Clinic – 5656 Kelly St, Houston, TX 77026 – 713.566.5612 or 713.566.5610
- Cavalcade Clinic – 3815 Cavalcade St, Houston, TX 77026 – 713.673.1549 or 713.673.1655
Contact either clinic listed above to make an appointment.
Bee Busy STD Testing In Houston
This SW Houston clinic is another option for STD and HIV testing. Bee Busy specifically tests for HIV, syphilis, and hepatitis C.
For individuals needing a rapid HIV test in Houston, you can contact Bee Busy clinic. A rapid test can produce results in roughly 20 minutes.
To make an appointment for free HIV testing you can call Bee Busy at 713.774.8800.
Another option is booking an appointment online.
The clinic is located in SW Houston at 9896 Bissonnet St #625, Houston, TX 77036. The phone number is 713.774.8800.
Ben Taub Hospital’s HIV Testing In Houston
You can also find free HIV STD in Houston at Ben Taub Hospital.
You must be 13 years or older to be tested for HIV at Ben Taub.
Oral swab testing is offered therefore no blood is drawn.
At this point no appointment is necessary, however, you are still encouraged to call 713.873.2649 for more information.
This HIV testing site is located in Ben Taub Hospital. The address is 1504 Ben Taub Loop, Houston, TX 77030. Call them at 713.873.2649 for more information.
Bread Of Life STD Testing In Houston
Bread of Life is a nonprofit that provides services to Houston’s homeless population. One of those services is free STD and HIV testing.
They test for the following here:
Call Bread of Life at 713.659.3237 or 832.548.0284 for more information.
The HIV testing center is located in Houston’s Midtown neighborhood. The address is 2019 Crawford St, Houston, TX 77002. Call them at 832.548.0284 or email them at email@example.com for more information.
Central Care STD Testing In Houston
Central Care is another low-cost medical clinic that offers STD testing in Houston.
Services offered here include:
- Provides HIV testing, counseling, and treatment
- Treatment for hepatitis
To schedule an appointment for HIV testing, you must call
There are 3 Central Care clinics that provide STD testing in Houston:
- Sunnyside – 8610 Martin Luther King Blvd, Houston, TX 77033 – 713.734.0199
- SW Houston – 14087 S. Main St, Houston, TX 77085 – 713.734.0199
- Berry Road – 96 Berry Rd, Houston, TX 77022 – 713.734.0199
Change Happens STD Testing In Houston
Change Happens provides residents with another option for STD testing in Houston.
They test for the following:
- Hepatitis C testing
- HIV testing
- Syphilis testing
- Anti – Retroviral Treatment and Access to Services (ARTAS)
- Free condom distribution
- PrEP education and referrals
- Linkage to services
To make an appointment call Change Happens at 713.374.1200.
This HIV testing center is located in Third Ward. The address is 3353 Elgin St, Houston, TX 77004. Call them at 713.374.1200 or email them at firstname.lastname@example.org.
City of Houston Health Center STD Testing In Houston
The City of Houston is another option for STD testing in Houston.
The health centers are all walk-in clinics and clients are served on a first come first serve basis.
You are encouraged to arrive as early as possible to guarantee that you obtain an appointment.
Below you will find 4 locations where you can receive City of Houston free STD testing services:
- La Nueva Casa Health Center – 1809 N. Main St, Houston, TX 77009 – 832.395.0570
- Northside Health Center – 8504 Schuller Rd, Houston, TX 77093 – 832.395.9100
- Sharpstown Health Center – 6201 Bonhomme Rd, Houston, TX 77036 – 832.395.9800
- Sunnyside Health Center – 4506 Wilmington St, Houston, TX 77051 – 832.395.0206
Harris County Public Health STD Testing In Houston
If you live near Humble or Pasadena consider Harris County Public Health as a place to find STD or HIV testing.
They service the entire county but specialize in men who have sex w men, sex workers, and substance abusers who use needles.
One great thing about the Harris County Public Health Department is they offer mobile testing. If you cannot find STD or HIV testing nearby, you can call them at 281.962.8378 for mobile screening.
Harris County Public Health offers free STD testing in Pasadena, TX, and Humble.
- Humble – 1730 Humble Pl Dr, Humble, TX 77338 – 281.446.4222
- Pasadena – 3737 Red Bluff Rd, Pasadena, TX 77503 – 713.407.5800
Houston Clubs Offering STD / HIV Testing
Legacy Clinic has partnered with a number or Houston area clubs to offer syphilis and HIV testing. You can find addresses and telephone numbers below.
Editor’s note: STD testing at these sites may have been impacted by COVID 19 therefore it is best to call prior to visiting.
Club Houston offers free HIV and syphilis testing on Wednesdays from 6 pm to 10 pm and Fridays 2 pm to 4pm.
2205 Fannin St, Houston, TX 77002 – 713.659.4998
Guava Lamp does STD testing on Thursdays from 6 pm to 8 pm.
570 Waugh Dr, Houston, TX 77019 – 713.524.3359
Ripcord provides STD testing Thursdays from 6 pm to 8 pm.
715 Fairview St, Houston, TX 77006 – 713.521.2792
TC’s Bar offers STD testing in Houston every 2nd and 4th Friday of the month. The times are 4 pm to 6 pm.
817 Fairview St, Houston, TX 77006 – 713.526.2625
Tony’s Corner Pocket
Tony’s Corner Pocket offers testing on Tuesdays from 6 pm to 8 pm.
817 W. Dallas, Houston, TX 77019 – 713.571.7870
Healthcare For The Homeless STD Testing
Healthcare for the Homeless is a clinic that provides medical care to those living on the streets of Houston. In addition, this homeless healthcare clinic offers the following types of free STD testing:
Visit HFTH any day Monday through Thursday from 8 am to 5 am. On Fridays they are open from 8 am to 12 pm. The clinic is closed on weekends.
Editor’s note: For more medical options like this see our guide titled 7 Homeless Healthcare Options In Houston.
This clinic is located in downtown Houston at 1934 Caroline St, Houston, TX 77002. You can call them at 713-286-6000 or visit the Healthcare for the Homeless website for more information.
LBJ Hospital’s HIV Testing In Houston
LBJ Hospital is another option to consider for free HIV testing in Houston.
You must be 13 years or older to be tested for HIV at LBJ.
Oral swab testing is offered therefore no blood is drawn.
At this point no appointment is necessary, however, you are still encouraged to call 713.873.2649 for more information.
This HIV testing site is located in LBJ Hospital. The address is 5550 Kelly St, Houston, TX 77026. Call them at 713.566.2178 or 713.566.4858 for more information.
Legacy Community Health STD Testing In Houston
Legacy Clinic is a local clinic that provides both STD testing and access to an HIV clinic in Houston.
You must call for an appointment because they do not accept walk-ins.
PrEP Treatment at Legacy Clinic
PrEP is a medication that helps to prevent the spread and transmission of HIV. This medication is meant to protect you against the spread of HIV BEFORE you are exposed.
Editor’s note: This medication does not 100% prevent the spread of HIV, it simply decreases the chances of you contracting or spreading the virus. Even if you choose to use PrEP you still need to use contraceptives and practice safe sex. Speak to your doctor or Legacy for more details.
In order for PrEP to be effective, you must take the pill daily and practice safe sex.
Legacy is a clinic to find PrEP in Houston. To learn more call Legacy at 832.548.5221 or visit their PrEP information page.
NPEP Treatment at Legacy Clinic
nPEP is an intervention that’s meant to protect you against the spread of HIV AFTER you have been exposed to the virus.
If you have had sex, been sexually assaulted, or shared needles with someone who has the virus nPEP could be a good option. It is best that you take nPEP no more than 72 hours or 3 days after potentially being exposed to HIV.
Legacy offers STD and HIV testing at two Houston locations. To make an appointment call either of the clinics below:
- Montrose – 1415 California Houston, TX 77006 – 832.548.5100 – Website
- Fifth Ward Lyons – 3811 Lyons Ave, Houston, TX 77020 – 832.548.5400 – Website
Montrose Center HIV Testing In Houston
Montrose Center offers free HIV screening in Houston.
To get a free Hep C and HIV screening, simply walk into the Montrose Center on Wednesdays or Fridays from 11 am to 3 pm. This is a first come first serve testing so arrive early.
If you would like to schedule an appointment for testing call the testing center at 713.529.0037.
Editor’s note: Montrose Center does not offer STI testing although they can make referrals.
Here is a list of more programs offered at this location:
- HIV Early Intervention Outreach – Targets drug users who do injections as well as other substance abusers.
- Community PROMISE – The program helps men who engage in sexual activities with other men. The primary focus is African-American and Latino men.
This HIV testing center is located in the Montrose neighborhood.
- Montrose Center – 401 Branard Street, Houston, TX 77006 – 713.529.0037
Planned Parenthood STD Testing In Houston
Planned Parenthood clinics offer testing and treatment to all of the following:
- Genital Warts
- HIV (testing and diagnosis only)
Prevention services include:
- Condoms offered (male and female)
- HPV vaccine (Gardasil)
- STD + Safe Sex Education
- HPV + Hepatitis vaccines education
The cost of services are:
- HPV vaccine (Gardasil) individual injection = $150 , $20 = injection fee
- Vaccination office visit – $20 – $30 (first injection)
- Some STD tests and treatments are covered by insurance. To use your insurance, bring your card to the clinic appointment.
Planned Parenthood offers the following regarding HIV services:
- HIV testing, education, and referrals
- Counseling and private testing is offered by trained professionals
- Spring – 713.831.4593
Planned Parenthood Locations In Houston
There are 6 Planned Parenthood clinics in Harris County. Below you will find the contact information for each:
- Northville Health Center – 9919 North Freeway Service Rd, Suite 107, Houston, TX 77037 – 713.514.1106 – Website – Call 713.831.4593 to speak to the HIV Counselor.
- Northwest Health Center – 13169 Northwest Freeway Suite 115, Houston, TX 77040 – 713.514.1107 – Website – For an HIV Counselor call 713.831.4593.
- Prevention Park Health Center (Gulf Freeway) – 4600 Gulf Freeway, Suite 100, 1st floor, Houston, TX 77023 – 713.522.3976 – Website – To speak with an HIV Counselor call 713.831.6578 or 713.831.6543 for an appointment.
- Southwest Health Center -5800 Bellaire Blvd. Building 1B, Suite 120 Building 1B, Suite 120, Houston, TX 77081 – 713.541.5372 – Website – Call 713.831.4519 to speak with an HIV Cousnelor.
- Spring health Center – 4747 Louetta Rd, Spring, TX 77388 – 713.514.1102 – Website – Call 713.831.4593 to speak with this health center’s HIV Counselor.
- Stafford Health Center – 12614 Southwest Fwy Suite A, Stafford, TX 77477 – 713.514.1100 – Website – Call 713.831.4592 to speak with an HIV Counselor.
St. Hope STD Testing In Houston
St. Hope offers another option for STD testing in Houston. This clinic also offers testing and treatment services for HIV.
St. Hope screens for the following STDs:
- Hepatitis C
St. Hope provides the following services to its patients:
- Expert HIV medical care and treatment
- Nutrition counseling
- Case Management
- Dental care
- Vision care
- Psychiatry + Mental health counseling
- Housing referrals
Here are 5 St. Hope clinics that you can access for STD testing in Houston:
- Bellaire Location – 6800 West Loop Suite 560, Bellaire, TX 77401 – 713.839.7111
- Conroe Location – 1414 S. Frazier Street, Suite 105, Conroe, TX 77301 – 936.441.2440
- Dickinson Location – 3750 Medical Park Dr, Suite 150, Dickinson, TX 77539 – 832.431.5162
- Greenspoint Location – 255 Northpoint Dr Suite 200, Houston, TX 77060 – 832.300.8040
- Sugarland Location – 13020 Dairy Ashford Rd, Suite 100, Sugar Land, Tx 77478 – 281.277.8571
For more information visit the St. Hope website or call them at 713.778.1300.
Thomas Street Hospital HIV Testing
Thomas Street is a hospital/clinic that specializes in treating individuals with HIV. This location provides free HIV screening among other tests.
Editor’s note: Thomas Street is apart of the Harris Health System (Gold Card) therefore you will need to have a Gold Card or either private health insurance.
You must be 13 years or older to be tested for the following.
- Conventional Blood HIV Test
- Hepatitis A, B, C
- Rapid HIV testing
- Offers PrEP to uninsured
Schedule an appointment by calling Thomas Street Hospital at 713.873.4157 or 713.873.4052.
This clinic is located in the North Central neighborhood, just west of the Metro Light Rail. The address is 2015 Thomas St, Houston, TX 77009, the phone number is 713-873-4000
STD Testing FAQ
Below are some common questions that you may have regarding STD testing.
How Are STD Tests Performed?
There is no universal STD test, therefore the type of test you receive will depend on your symptoms. In general, these are the methods used to test for STDS:
- Cheek swab where you rub the inside of your mouth with a cotton swab.
- Blood testing involves a prick of your finger or potentially drawing blood from your arm.
- An exam where your doctor checks your genitals for warts, sores, rashes, or discharge.
- Urine tests are simple, you just pee into a cup.
- If you have sores your doctor will take fluid from those sores with a swab.
- Swabs can also be used to gently take discharge from your penis, vagina, anus, or throat.
Overall, STD testing is generally easy and doesn’t hurt, so don’t be anxious about getting tested.
Which STD Test Should I Take?
You will want to consult with your doctor because they can help determine which test is best.
Your doctor will ask you a number of intimate questions, but don’t feel embarrassed or judged, because they are there to help you. They will use information like your current symptoms, the kind of sex you have, was protection used, and if your partner has an STD to determine the best STD test to perform.
How Long Does It Take To See Symptoms Of An STD?
There is no set timeframe that STD symptoms appear but in general, it can take anywhere from 4 days, a few months, or even years to see symptoms.
What Are Common STD Symptoms To Look For?
The chart below will show you common symptoms of STDs like chlamydia, herpes, HIV, gonorrhea, and more.
How Many Days Should You Wait To Be Tested For An STD?
The time you should wait depends on two things:
- The specific STD
- Its incubation period
After contracting an STD it will take time for your body to recognize the disease and then create antibodies. This time is known as an incubation period. Testing too soon during the incubation period could result in a negative test.
The chart below provides you with the incubation periods for specific STDs.
|Chlamydia||7 – 21 days|
|Genital herpes||2 – 12 days|
|Gonorrhea||1 – 14 days|
|Hep A||15 – 50 days|
|Hep B||8 – 22 weeks|
|Hep C||2 – 26 weeks|
|HIV||2 – 4 weeks|
|HPV||1 month – 10 years (depending on the type)|
|Oral Herpes||2 – 12 days|
|Syphilis||3 weeks – 20 years (depending on the type)|
Whether you are sexually active or believe you already have symptoms of an STD, testing isn’t something you want to put off.
YES, it’s scary to even consider the thought of contracting an STD, but even more frightening to think about the consequences of an untreated STD. Increased risk of contracting HIV, endangering a pregnancy, becoming infertile, or worse infecting someone you love. These are all reasons that you want to get tested on a regular basis.
There are so many opportunities for STD testing in Houston and you can find those via our map or list of STD testing locations above to find a site near you.
Similar articles that may interest you:
- Family Planning Clinics In Houston (find condoms, birth control, and birth planning)
- 15 Low-Cost Medical Clinics In Houston
- Houston Housing Options For Individuals With HIV (HOPWA)
Nick Bryant is a Counselor with 11 years of experience working in community health. He enjoys concerts, walks with the doggo and wife, mocking Dallas Cowboy fans, and sharing community resources. Jump on the Houston Case Managers email list to receive weekly community resource guides delivered directly to your inbox.