14 HOPWA Houston Programs: Housing For Individuals w HIV/AIDS


14 HOPWA Houston Programs: Housing For Individuals w HIV/AIDS

In this article, I will talk to you about a federally funded housing program called HOPWA. This program primarily provides housing for HIV patients.  Below I will focus on 14 Houston area HOPWA programs, but before introducing you to these programs I want to start off by giving you a brief history of this program.

What Is HOPWA?

HOPWA (Housing Opportunities for Persons with AIDS) is a federally funded program that helps with the cost of housing for individuals with HIV/AIDS. This low income housing program was created by HUD in 1990 to address the unique needs of individuals living with HIV/AIDS. The HOPWA housing assistance programs play an important part in providing low income individuals with a stable place to stay, which translates to improved healthcare outcomes. Subsidized rent does not solve all problems, however, HOPWA programs can provide some relief to individuals who are dealing with poverty and multiple medical appointments. 

Eligibility For HOPWA Housing

Each program has different standards, but below is a general list of qualifications to receive HOPWA funding in Houston. You must have each of the following:

  • Meet the standard of low income meaning income/resources must be below 80% of the area median income for supportive services (SS) and below 50% AMI for community residences (CR) and tenant-based rental assistance (TBRA)
  • Have HIV positive diagnosis
  • Live in the “Houston area”. This includes Houston, the Woodlands, Sugarland, Baytown, Conroe. The counties of Austin, Brazoria, Chambers, Fort Bend, Galveston, Harris, Liberty, Montgomery, Waller.

HOPWA Programs In Houston

Below is a list of Houston nonprofits that offer supportive services and housing programs for HIV patients. 

1. A Caring Safe Place (HIV permanent supportive housing in Houston)

This Houston HOPWA program focuses on individuals with substance abuse issues. They offer the following services:

  • Transitional housing is available to 18+ males with a history of substance abuse issues. You can stay here for up to 24 months and get access to group/individual counseling and job training
  • Permanent supportive housing is available through Lydia’s Place Apartments. To stay here you must be an 18+ male with a history of substance abuse with 9 months of sobriety.  You are allowed to stay here as long as you follow program rules. 
  • Case management services are available to clients. 
  • HIV/STD education services are provided. 
  • Other services include care coordination, mental health counseling, a day treatment program, nutritional counseling, and financial planning. 

To be eligible for services you must be 18+, homeless or marginally homeless, have a history of substance abuse issues, and a diagnosis of HIV/AIDs.  A Caring Safe Place is located in Houston’s 5th Ward at 1804 Carr St, Houston, TX 77026. You can contact them at 713.225.5441 or visit the A Caring Safe Place website

low income housing no wait list

2. Access Care of Coastal Texas (rent assistance in Galveston)

This Galveston HOPWA provides service to Galveston, Brazoria, and Matagorda counties. ACCT offers the following services: 

  • Short term rent, mortgage, and utility assistance
  • HIV education in Galveston
  • Free HIV testing in Galveston
  • Clothing assistance
  • Emergency financial assistance
  • HIV medication assistance program
  • Transportation assistance

To qualify for services you must have a diagnosis of HIV/AIDS and live in Galveston, Brazoria, or Matagorda county.  This Galveston HOPWA is located at 707 23rd St, Galveston, TX 77550. You can reach them at  409.763.2437 or visit the Access Care of Coastal Texas website

3. AIDS Foundation Houston (housing for HIV/AIDS in Houston)

AIDS Foundation is a Houston nonprofit that accepts HOPWA funds to assist individuals with an HIV/AIDS diagnosis.

To learn more about these programs you can call them at 713.623.6796, visit the AIDS Foundation Houston website, or their office at 6260 Westpark Dr, Suite 100, Houston, TX 77057. 

4. Association of the Advancement of Mexican Americans AMMA (Rent assistance in Houston) 

AMMA is another HOPWA program that focuses on the Hispanic community in Houston.  Services offered by this nonprofit are: 

  • MAP-HOPWA which stands for Minorities Action Program HOPWA. This program can potentially help those with HIV with rent and utility assistance.
  • The HIV Early Intervention program offers case management for individuals with a history of substance abuse how are also diagnosed with HIV/AIDS.
  • HIV, Hepatitis, and TB testing is also offered by AMMA. Those needing additional resources will be referred to outside agencies. 
  • Project Tejas offers substance abuse treatment both inpatient and outpatient

For more information about HOPWA services, you can call 713.967.6700, visit the AMMA website or their main office at 6001 Gulf Fwy, Houston, TX 77023. 

5. Avenue 360 (housing for HIV/AIDS in Houston)

Avenue 360 is a Houston FQHC that offers a number of different services in addition to HOPWA. Here are some of the resources available to you: 

  • Omega House which provides housing for HIV patients. This program provides those with HIV/AIDS with rent, mortgage and utility assistance. It also helps with permanent housing and medical respite care. To learn more about Omega House contact them at 832.384.1390
  • Permanent Supportive Housing is available to homeless individuals with a disability. 
  • Houston Rapid Re-Housing Program assists homeless families with children by providing rent assistance on a temporary basis. 

In addition to the housing, you can also find low cost medical care, dental, mental health, and pharmacy services.  To learn more about the HOPWA program available to you call 713.426.0027, visit them at 2150 West 18th St, Suite 300, Houston, TX 77008, or visit the Avenue 360 website

6. Brentwood Community Foundation 

Brentwood Community Foundation is a Houston organization that assists the community with resources like health care, economic development, and affordable housing The HOPWA services offered are: 

If you are interested in any of the services above contact 713.852.1452, visit their address at 13101 Landmark St, Houston, TX 77045, or visit the Brentwood Community Foundation website

7. Catholic Charities (rent assistance in Houston)

Catholic Charities is another nonprofit that helps those with HIV/AIDS in Houston with basic needs resources. Some of the HIV/AIDS services resources here are: 

  • Case management 
  • Spiritual support
  • HIV education
  • One-time financial assistance

To become eligible for these services you must have a diagnosis of HIV/AIDS and live in one of the following counties: Austin, Brazoria, Fort Bend, Galveston, Grimes, Harris, Montgomery, San Jacinto, Walker, and Waller. For more information, you can call 713.874.6589, visit the Catholic Charities website or their location in Midtown Houston at 2900 Louisiana Houston, TX 77006. 

8. Goodwill Industries of Houston (employment assistance in Houstson)

Goodwill Houston offers the following HOPWA resources to clients: 

To learn more about their HOPWA services call them at 713.692.6221, visit the Goodwill Houston website, or their location at 1140 W. Loop N Fwy, Houston, TX 77055. 

9. Corder Place Apartments 

You can find the following HOPWA help at this Houston apartment complex: 

  • Supportive services
  • Community residence to stay

For more information, you can call them at 713.741.4070, visit the Corder Place Apartments website, or visit the property at 7210 Peerless St, Houston, TX 77021. 

10. Houston SRO Housing Corporation (HIV/AIDS housing in Houston)

You received the following HOPWA services at this Houston SRO apartment: 

  • Supportive services for homeless veterans
  • Community residence for individuals and couples

You can learn more about HOPWA services offered by calling them at 713.526.9470 or visit their location at 2211 Norfolk, Suite 740, Houston, TX 77098. 

11. Houston Volunteer Lawyers Program

Houston Volunteer Lawyers offer the following legal assistance in Houston: 

  • Legal advice on housing, family law, public benefits, disability, employment, and discrimination

For more information on legal assistance contact 713.228.0735 extension 121, visit the Houston Volunteer Lawyers website or their address at 1111 Bagby, Suite FLB 300, Houston, TX 77002. 

12. the Montrose Center (rent assistance in Houston)

The Montrose Center also provides HOPWA housing help to those with HIV/AIDS in Houston. Those services are: 

  • Short-term mortgage, rent, utility assistance
  • Extended HOPWA rental assistance
  • Rent deposit assistance 
  • Counseling 

To learn more about HOPWA assistance available you can call 713.529.0037, visit the Montrose Center website, or their office at 401 Branard St, Houston, TX 77006.

13. Search Homeless Services

This Houston homeless organization also offers HOPWA assistance to those with HIV/AIDS. 

If you need more information about HOPWA assistance contact them at 713.739.7752, visit the Search Homeless website, or visit the shelter at 2505 Fannin, Houston, TX 77002. 

14. Houston ReCenter

ReCenter is a homeless men and womens shelter that is located in Houston’s Midtown neighborhood. This nonprofit provides HOPWA services to homeless individuals with alcohol and drug addictions.  For more information, you can call 713.524.3682, visit the ReCenter website, or their location at 3809 Main Street, Houston, TX 77002.   


Each of the nonprofits listed above provides some form of supportive services or HOPWA housing assistance for people with HIV. The focus of this article is housing for those with HIV/AIDS, however, you can also find lots of basic needs at these nonprofits, so definitely start with these organizations first if you are in need.  The agencies in this article focus on low income housing for HIV patients, however, can find more housing options in the articles below:

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *