- Where To Find 3 Office To Apply For Medicaid In Houston
- Map Of Houston Medicaid Offices
- 1. Texas Health and Human Service Commission
- 2. City of Houston Health Department
- 3. Family Houston (formerly Family Services of Greater Houston)
- Applying For Medicaid During The COVID 19 Pandemic
- Harris Health / Gold Card: An Alternative To Texas Medicaid
Where To Find 3 Office To Apply For Medicaid In Houston
UPDATE: The COVID 19 pandemic may have effected the business hours and face to face interactions at these clinics, therefore it’s best to call prior to visiting.
If you need to apply for Medicaid in Houston you’re in luck, because you have plenty of options.
Completing a 10-page Medicaid application can be intimidating, although it doesn’t have to be because there are many agencies right here in Houston that will help you every step of the way.
Whether you’re a case manager or an individual needing to apply for Medicaid you’ll have a firm understanding of exactly who can help you after reading this quick article.
This article will provide you with the following:
- Map of locations you can visit for help applying for Texas Medicaid
- A list of agencies who can help you complete your Medicaid application
- Contact numbers to each agency
Map Of Houston Medicaid Offices
The map above pinpoints offices where you can go to apply for Medicaid in Houston. Each location offers face-to-face assistance in applying for Medicaid, CHIP, TANF, and SNAP.
You are advised to call each before visiting as a walk-in.
In the sections below I will provide more information about each agency.
1. Texas Health and Human Service Commission
Texas Health and Human Service Commission (THHS) is the first agency I will tell you about who can help you apply for Medicaid in Houston.
THHS is the agency that manages Texas Medicaid, as well as CHIP, TANF, and SNAP.
Note: Texas Health and Human Service Commission is the agency who decides if you qualify for Medicaid. Other agencies on this list can help you apply (fill out paperwork), but ultimately THHS determines who is eligible for services.
Double Note: If you have questions about the status of your application those should go to Texas Health and Human Services Commission; EVEN if another agency helps you apply for Medicaid. Again they manage the Medicaid Program so other agencies are simply helping you submit your application to THHS. Call THHS at 877.541.7905.
Texas Health and Human Service Commission Offices in Houston
There are 16 Texas Health and Human Service Offices around the Houston area.
Each Houston Medicaid Office is staffed with employees who can assist you or your client with completing a Texas Medicaid application.
- Beltway 8 & 45 South – 10060 Fuqua St, Houston, TX 77089 – 713.946.6861
- Buffalo Speedway – 13838 Buffalo Speedway, Houston, TX 77045 – 713.433.3145
- Conroe – 608 N. Loop 336 E, Conroe, TX 77301 – 936.539.1161
- Dickinson – 215 Tanglewood Dr, Dickinson, TX 77539 – 409.945.0317
- East End – 2110 Telephone Rd, Houston, TX 77023 – 713.921.5108
- East Houston – 10202 East Freeway, Houston, TX 77029 – 713.673.6347
- East Little York – 1421 Little York Rd, Houston, TX 77093 – 281.372.2540
- Galveston – 123 Rosenberg St, Galveston, TX 77550 – 409.763.0277
- Greenspoint – 220 Meadowfern Dr, Houston, TX 77067 – 281.874.0048
- Highway 6 (West Houston) – 2133 S Texas 6 #100, Houston, TX 77077 – 281.597.5200
- Northline – 3880 North Freeway, Houston, TX 77022 – 713.699.1098
- NW Houston – 8511 N Houston Rosslyn Rd, Houston, TX 77088 – 713.895.6800
- Pasadena – 810 Preston Rd, Pasadena, TX 77502 – 713.947.8130
- Texas City – 2000 Texas Ave #900, Texas City, TX 77590 – 409.948.3481
- Third Ward – 6118 Scott St, Houston, TX 77021 – 713.748.8450
- Tomball – 29250 TX – 249 Business, Tomball, TX 77375 – 281.351.0637
A walk-in visit to a Texas Health and Human Services office will have you waiting for hours, so you are encouraged to contact them at 2-1-1 or 1.877.541.7905 to arrange an appointment. You can also complete your application over the phone by dialing those same numbers.
If you are tech-savvy, avoid the Houston Medicaid Office and visit You Texas Benefits. There you can apply for benefits like Texas Medicaid, CHIP, TANF, and SNAP online.
2. City of Houston Health Department
The City of Houston Health Department helps you apply for Medicaid in Houston at each of its 11 multi-service centers.
City of Houston Multi-service Centers
- Acres Homes MSC – 6719 W Montgomery Rd, Houston, TX 77091 – 832.393.4145
- Denver Harbor MSC – 6402 Market Street, Houston, TX 77020 – 832.395.0895
- Fifth Ward MSC – 4014 Market Street, Houston, TX 77020 – 832.393.5427
- Hiram Clarke MSC – 3810 W Fuqua Street, Houston, TX 77045 – 832.393.4240
- Kashmere MSC – 4802 Lockwood Dr, Houston, TX 77026 – 832.393.5503
- Magnolia MSC – 7037 Capitol St, Houston, TX 77011 – 832.395.3380
- Northeast MSC – 9720 Spaulding St, Houston, TX 77016 – 832.395.0470
- Southwest MSC – 6400 High Star Dr, Houston, TX 77074 – 832.395.9900
- Sunnyside MSC – 9314 Cullen Blvd, Houston, TX 77051 – 832.395.0069
- Third Ward MSC – 3611 Ennis St, Houston, TX 77004 – 832.393.4051
- West End MSC – 170 Heights Blvd, Houston, TX 77007 – 832.393.5950
Each multi-service center is staffed with a Client Access Specialist who can assist you with completing your Texas Medicaid application.
Note: You are encouraged to call the appointment line at 832.393.5427 to schedule a sit down for help applying for Medicaid. In most cases City of Houston Health Department does not accept walk ins. You are welcome to stop by for questions, but as far as helping you with your application, you will need an appointment.
In addition to the Medicaid application, the health department can assist you with applying for CHIP, TANF, SNAP, and Texas Women’s Health Program.
To schedule an appointment with a City of Houston Client Access Specialist contact the Houston Health Department appointment line at 832.393.5427.
3. Family Houston (formerly Family Services of Greater Houston)
This clinic is another option if you need to apply for Medicaid in Houston. They are partnered with Texas Health and Human Services meaning they can also help with CHIP, TANF, and SNAP applications.
- Family Houston – 4625 Lillian St, Houston, TX 77007
Contact them at 713.861.4849 to schedule your appointment.
Applying For Medicaid During The COVID 19 Pandemic
COVID 19 has impacted the operations of many businesses and Houston Medicaid offices are no different.
If you do not feel safe visiting a Medicaid office in Houston you can apply for the benefit via phone, online, or mail-in application.
- Phone – Call Texas Health and Human Services at 877.541.7905 to apply for Medicaid by phone.
- Online – To apply for Medicaid online you can visit Your Texas Benefits. This is probably the easiest way to apply. You can also download the Your Texas Benefits phone app to your Android or iPhone.
- Mail-In – You can also complete and mail in an application. You can find download a Medicaid application by visiting the Your Texas Benefits website. The address to mail it to will be on your application.
Below is how you can mail a Medicaid application to yourself.
Harris Health / Gold Card: An Alternative To Texas Medicaid
Texas is one of the harder states for adults to qualify for Medicaid, therefore it’s a good idea to consider Harris Health / Gold Card as a backup plan.
Note: It is far easier for a low income family to have the children qualify for Medicaid as opposed to adults.
Harris Health / Gold Card is local health insurance for individuals in Harris County who cannot qualify for Medicaid.
This program offers everything from primary care, access to specialists, dentists, counseling, psychiatry, and more.
To learn how to apply for this program see our guide titled How To Apply For Harris Health (Gold Card).
The easiest way to apply for Medicaid in Houston is definitely by phone (877.541.7905) or online, however, there are plenty of Houston Medicaid Offices to help you in person. If you lack a computer or simply feel more comfortable speaking with someone face to face visit any of the agencies above for assistance.
Similar Articles That May Interest You:
- How To Apply For Food Stamps In Houston
- Emergency Food Stamps: How To Receive Benefits In Less Than 24 Hours
- Instructions On Signing Your Child Up For CHIP Health Insurance
Nick Bryant is a Counselor with 11 years of experience working in community health. He enjoys concerts, walks with the doggo and wife, mocking Dallas Cowboy fans, and sharing community resources. Jump on the Houston Case Managers email list to receive weekly community resource guides delivered directly to your inbox.