- How To Apply For Food Stamps In Lubbock TX
- What Are SNAP Benefits?
- Who Manages The Texas Food Stamps Program?
- Eligibility For SNAP benefits In Texas
- Texas Food Stamp Income Limits
- Maximum Monthly SNAP Benefits In Texas
- Documents Need To Apply For SNAP Benefits In Lubbock
- How To Apply For Texas Food Stamps Online
- How To Apply For Texas Food Stamps By Phone
- Lubbock Food Stamp Offices Near You (How To Apply In Person)
- Problems That A Lubbock Texas Food Stamp Office Can Help You With
- Download Your Texas SNAP Application
- Using The EBT Card (Texas Food Stamps)
- How To Apply For Emergency Food Stamps (Expedited SNAP Benefits)
- South Plains Food Bank (Food Assistance Program Lubbock)
How To Apply For Food Stamps In Lubbock TX
In this post, I’ll show you how to apply for food stamps in Lubbock, Texas.
You may be eligible for SNAP benefits if you qualify for state assistance like Medicaid, CHIP, or TANF. This program assists low-income households in Texas in meeting their nutritional needs.
Continue reading to learn how to apply for food stamps in Lubbock, Texas.
What Are SNAP Benefits?
The USDA’s Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) is a government program that finances the purchase of food for low-income families. Most people are familiar with this program as “food stamps,” although it is officially known as SNAP, which stands for Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program.
Who Manages The Texas Food Stamps Program?
The Texas Department of Human Services administers the food stamp program. You must first contact this department to obtain food stamps. It’s worth noting that the Texas Department of Health and Human Services manages Medicaid, CHIP, TANF (welfare), Medicaid Retroactive Coverage, and other government welfare programs.
Eligibility For SNAP benefits In Texas
The great majority of SNAP payments are dispersed to low-income families in Texas.
Low-income individuals in Lubbock who are 18 to 49 years old and don’t have children and live at or below the poverty line can apply for SNAP benefits. The assistance will only be valid for three months.
If you work 20 hours a week or are enrolled in a training program for more than three months, your food stamp benefits in Texas may be extended. Low-income pregnant women and persons with disabilities typically do not have to work in order to receive food stamps under the Texas SNAP program.
Texas Food Stamp Income Limits
This chart shows how much money you may make each month while still receiving food stamps in Texas.
|Household Size||Income Limits For Food Stamps In Texas|
|Each additional person||$616|
Maximum Monthly SNAP Benefits In Texas
This is how much money you may receive each month from the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) based on your family size.
|Household Size||Maximum Monthly SNAP Benefits (Texas)|
|Each additioanl person||$153|
We’ve published a resource guide for you to help you get the most out of your food stamp money, called 4 Steps To Increase Your Monthly Food Stamp Benefits.
Documents Need To Apply For SNAP Benefits In Lubbock
The following is a summary of all of the documents you’ll need to submit when applying for SNAP benefits.
- ID: A driver’s license, school or work ID, medical insurance ID, voter registration card, birth certificate, or other identification are required.
- Proof of Address: Utility bills, rent, mortgage receipts showing address or a Voter’s ID are all consider proof of address.
- Proof of Income: check stubs, employment statement, social security, supplemental security income or veteran’s benefits, alimony, unemployment, retirement, or disability benefits
- Immigration Status: Documents related to immigration and naturalization
- Expenses: Mortgage and credit card payments, property taxes, home insurance, child care expenses, electricity and gas costs
- Medical Expenses: Hospital bills, detailed receipts showing unreimbursed medical expenses, prescriptions bottles showing cost on label or printout, medical payment agreement
- Verify Resources: Certificates of deposits, savings accounts, stock shares or bonds, and rental property documentation are just a few examples.
How To Apply For Texas Food Stamps Online
To begin the application process for Texas food stamps online, go to YourTexasBenefits.com. The Texas Department of Health and Human Services manages this website, so you can also apply for government assistance like Medicaid and CHIP while you’re there.
How To Apply For Texas Food Stamps By Phone
To apply for food stamps over the phone, call the Texas Department of Health and Human Services Commission at 877.541.7905.
It is possible to apply for SNAP by phone, but it may take some time. If you want to apply for food stamps over the phone, read our article titled How To Navigate The Texas Health and Human Services Helpline, to assist you with reaching a live 211 operator faster.
Lubbock Food Stamp Offices Near You (How To Apply In Person)
You must first go to a Texas Department of Health and Human Services office in Lubbock, TX, to apply for food stamps in person.
Here’s a list of Texas Health and Human Services offices in Lubbock. You may apply for food stamps, Medicaid, or CHIP at any of these locations.
- Levelland Food Stamp Office – 1701 AVENUE H, LEVELLAND, TX, 79336 806.894.1300
- Lubbock Food Stamp Office – 1716 PARKWAY DR, LUBBOCK, TX, 79403 806.744.7632
Problems That A Lubbock Texas Food Stamp Office Can Help You With
If you have problems with your Texas SNAP benefits the Lubbock food stamp offices listed above can help you. Here are common issues that they are able to assist food stamp recipients with:
- Understanding food stamp eligibility in Texas.
- Applying for food stamps and SNAP food benefits if you qualify.
- Calculating the amount of SNAP benefits you could receive each month.
- Finding stores in Lubbock that accept SNAP, EBT cards, and food stamps.
- Looking up your Texas EBT card balance.
Download Your Texas SNAP Application
Click HERE to download your SNAP application.
Using The EBT Card (Texas Food Stamps)
You may use your EBT (Electronic Benefits Transfer) or Lone Star Card to buy groceries after you’ve been accepted for SNAP. You should utilize your EBT Card the same way that you would a debit card. Every time you use your EBT Card, your account will be charged.
How To Apply For Emergency Food Stamps (Expedited SNAP Benefits)
In certain situations, the Texas Department of Health and Human Services will speed up your application for food stamps. If you meet the requirements, emergency food stamps can be given within 24 hours. To qualify for accelerated SNAP benefits in Texas, you must fulfill one of the following criteria:
- All household members are seasonal or migrant workers and are destitute with less than $100 in funds
- The household has less than $100 in funds and its monthly gross income is under $150
- The monthly household income and cash is less than the household’s monthly housing expenses
If you apply for food assistance online or by paper, look for this section. The Texas Department of Health and Human Services will assess your answers in this area to see if your situation is critical and determine if you qualify for emergency food stamp benefits in Texas
There is no separate application for emergency food stamps in Texas. You submit the same paperwork as you would for regular SNAP benefits. To begin, you may fill out an online form at Your Texas Benefits.
South Plains Food Bank (Food Assistance Program Lubbock)
The South Plains Food Bank is a nonprofit organization that provides food and other essentials to people in need. This organization is the largest hunger-relief organization in Lubbock, Texas.
The goal of the SPFB is to provide nutritious food for you if you cannot afford it on your own. They connect you with pantries, soup kitchens, shelters, and low-cost groceries so you can get enough healthy food for you and your family members.
If you are interested in learning more about this Lubbock food assistance program visit the South Plains Food Bank website or call them at 806.763.3003. Their office is located at 5605 MLK Blvd, Lubbock, TX 79404
The Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) provides cash assistance for food to eligible families.
Texas Health and Human Services may assist you in paying for your groceries if needed. If you qualify for food stamps, you will receive a recurring payment each month to help you feed your family.
If you live in Lubbock, you have three ways to apply for food stamps:
- Apply online by visiting YourTexasBenefits.com.
- You can call the Texas Health and Human Services Commission to apply for SNAP benefits by phone. The Texas food stamps phone number is 877.541.7905.
- Apply in person at a Lubbock food stamp office.
If you have any questions about how to apply for SNAP benefits in Lubbock or require a food stamp application, please leave a comment below and I will respond.
Similar Articles That May Be Of Interest To You:
- 4 Steps To Increase Your Monthly Food Stamp Benefits
- How To Apply For Emergency Food Stamps In Texas
- How To Apply Or Renew Your Texas ID And Driver’s License
Nick Bryant is a Counselor with 11 years of experience working in community health. He enjoys concerts, walks with the doggo and wife, mocking Dallas Cowboy fans, and sharing community resources. Jump on the Houston Case Managers email list to receive weekly community resource guides delivered directly to your inbox.