- San Antonio Food Stamps: How To Apply For SNAP Benefits In Bexar County
- What Are SNAP Benefits?
- Who Manages The Texas Food Stamps Program?
- Eligibility For SNAP Benefits In Texas
- Texas Food Stamp Income Limits
- Maximum Monthly SNAP Benefits In Texas
- Documents Need To Apply For SNAP Benefits In San Antonio
- How To Apply For Texas Food Stamps Online
- How To Apply For Texas Food Stamps By Phone
- How To Apply For Benefits At A San Antonio Food Stamp Office
- Download Your Texas SNAP Application
- Using The EBT Card (Texas Food Stamps)
- How To Apply For Emergency Food Stamps (Expedited SNAP Benefits)
San Antonio Food Stamps: How To Apply For SNAP Benefits In Bexar County
In this guide, I will show you how to apply for SNAP benefits in San Antonio, TX.
If you are now receiving state benefits like Medicaid, CHIP, or TANF, you could be eligible for SNAP food assistance. This program helps low-income Texas households in affording adequate meals.
To find out how to apply for food stamps in San Antonio, TX, continue reading.
What Are SNAP Benefits?
This is a federal government program that helps low-income families with the cost of food. This system is most often referred to as “food stamps.” The formal name for this Texas food benefits program is SNAP, which stands for Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program.
Who Manages The Texas Food Stamps Program?
The food stamp program is administered by the Texas Department of Health and Human Services. To receive SNAP benefits, you must go through this department. It’s worth noting that the Texas Department of Health and Human Services administers Medicaid, CHIP, TANF (welfare), Medicaid Retroactive Coverage, and other government assistance programs.
Eligibility For SNAP Benefits In Texas
In Texas, SNAP benefits are generally granted to low-income families.
San Antonio residents who are 18 to 49 years old with no children and low-income can get SNAP benefits. The assistance will, however, only be valid for three months.
The time limit for food stamp assistance may be extended if you work 20 hours a week or are participating in a training program. Low-income pregnant women and individuals with disabilities may not have to work to receive SNAP benefits in San Antonio, TX.
Texas Food Stamp Income Limits
This chart illustrates how much money you may make each month and still receive food stamps in Texas.
|Household Size||Income Limits For Food Stamps In Texas|
|Each additional person||$616|
Maximum Monthly SNAP Benefits In Texas
This is the monthly amount of Texas SNAP benefits you might receive based on your family size.
|Household Size||Maximum Monthly SNAP Benefits (Texas)|
|Each additioanl person||$153|
We’ve created a resource guide to assist you in receiving the maximum amount of food stamps possible, titled 4 Steps To Increase Your Monthly Food Stamp Benefits.
Documents Need To Apply For SNAP Benefits In San Antonio
Here’s a quick rundown of all of the paperwork you’ll need to apply for SNAP benefits.
- ID: A driver’s license, school or work ID, medical insurance ID, voter registration card, birth certificate, or other identification are required.
- Proof of Address: Utility bills, rent, mortgage receipts showing address or a Voter’s ID are all consider proof of address.
- Proof of Income: check stubs, employment statement, social security, supplemental security income or veteran’s benefits, alimony, unemployment, retirement, or disability benefits
- Immigration Status: Documents related to immigration and naturalization
- Expenses: Mortgage and credit card payments, property taxes, home insurance, child care expenses, electricity and gas costs
- Medical Expenses: Hospital bills, detailed receipts showing unreimbursed medical expenses, prescriptions bottles showing cost on label or printout, medical payment agreement
- Verify Resources: Certificates of deposits, savings accounts, stock shares or bonds, and rental property documentation are just a few examples.
How To Apply For Texas Food Stamps Online
You must first visit YourTexasBenefits.com to begin the process of applying for Texas food stamps online. This website is managed by the Texas Department of Health and Human Services, so you may also apply for government assistance like Medicaid and CHIP while you are there.
How To Apply For Texas Food Stamps By Phone
Call the Texas Health and Human Services Commission at 877.541.7905 to apply for food stamps by phone.
It is possible to submit an application for food stamps over the phone, but it might be time-consuming. If you choose to apply for food stamps by phone, see our guide titled How To Navigate The Texas Health and Human Services Helpline, to assist you with talking to a live 211 operator faster.
How To Apply For Benefits At A San Antonio Food Stamp Office
You must first visit a Texas Department of Health and Human Services office in San Antonio, TX to apply for food stamps in person.
Here’s a list of Texas Health and Human Services locations in San Antonio. At any of these locations, you can get help applying for SNAP, Medicaid, or CHIP.
- Floresville Food Stamp Office – 310 PALOMA, FLORESVILLE, TX, 78114 – 830.393.3141
- Hondo, TX Food Stamp Office – 410 CARTER, HONDO, TX, 78861 – 830.741.2043
- Jourdanton Food Stamp Office – 1306 JIFFY BLVD, JOURDANTON, TX,78026 – 830.769.3507
- South San Antonio Food Stamp Office – 905 PLEASANTON RD, SAN ANTONIO, TX,78214 – 210.977.9720
- Highland Park Food Stamp Office – 1011 ADA, SAN ANTONIO, TX, 78223 – 210.531.1800
- West San Antonio Food Stamp Office – 2534 CASTROVILLE RD, SAN ANTONIO, TX,78237 – 210.436.4392
- Rainbow Hills Food Stamp Office – 3411 HORAL, SAN ANTONIO, TX, 78227 – 210.212.6986
- Macarthur Park Food Stamp Office – 3300 NACOGDOCHES, SAN ANTONIO, TX, 78217 – 210.599.3217
- Schertz Food Stamp Office – 109 WINDY MEADOWS, SCHERTZ, TX, 78154 – 210.659.5826
Download Your Texas SNAP Application
Click HERE to download your SNAP application.
Using The EBT Card (Texas Food Stamps)
You may use your EBT (Electronic Benefits Transfer) or Lone Star Card to shop for food after you’ve been accepted for SNAP. You should utilize your EBT Card in the same manner that you would a debit card. Each time you use your EBT Card, your account will be charged.
How To Apply For Emergency Food Stamps (Expedited SNAP Benefits)
If you want to apply for food stamps in Texas, there are certain situations in which the Texas Department of Health and Human Services will expedite your application. If you qualify, emergency food stamps can be approved within 24 hours. To be eligible for expedited SNAP benefits in Texas, you must fulfill one of the following conditions:
- All household members are seasonal or migrant workers and are destitute with less than $100 in funds
- The household has less than $100 in funds and its monthly gross income is under $150
- The monthly household income and cash is less than the household’s monthly housing expenses
If you apply for food benefits online or by paper, search for this part. The Texas Department of Health and Human Services will consider your responses in this area to determine whether your situation is critical and whether you qualify for emergency SNAP payments.
There is no special Texas emergency food stamps application. You complete the normal SNAP benefits application. You can do this by simply going online to Your Texas Benefits and applying.
Based on your particular situation, the Texas Department of Insurance will determine whether or not you qualify for expedited food stamps.
If you’re looking for a financial assistance program to assist your family with food, the SNAP program is worth considering.
This government food aid program may help you pay for your groceries. Furthermore, SNAP benefits in San Antonio provide you with money each month to use for food to feed your family. To apply for food stamps in San Antonio you have 3 options:
- Apply online by visiting YourTexasBenefits.com.
- You can call the Texas Health and Human Services Commission to apply for SNAP benefits by phone. The Texas food stamps phone number is 877.541.7905.
- Apply in person at a San Antonio food stamp office.
If you have any queries about how to apply for SNAP benefits in San Antonio, want a food stamp application, or anything else, please leave a remark below and I will respond.
Similar Articles That May Be Of Interest To You:
- 4 Steps To Increase Your Monthly Food Stamp Benefits
- 42 San Antonio Clinics That Provided Treatment To The Uninsured
- How To Apply For Emergency Food Stamps In Texas
- San Antonio Carelink: Health Insurance For Uninsured Patients In Bexar County
Nick Bryant is a Counselor with 11 years of experience working in community health. He enjoys concerts, walks with the doggo and wife, mocking Dallas Cowboy fans, and sharing community resources. Jump on the Houston Case Managers email list to receive weekly community resource guides delivered directly to your inbox.