Homeless Gold Card Houston: How To Apply For Homeless Healthcare
Do you have homeless clients who need medical care in Houston?
If so the Harris Health System offers a Healthcare for the Homeless Program that subsidizes health services to individuals who are experiencing homelessness.
To receive these services you will need to apply for a homeless Gold Card or visit one of their homeless health clinics in Houston. Keep reading to learn more about this Houston homeless healthcare program.
Harris Health System: The Agency That Manages The Homeless Gold Card
Harris Health System is a local network of healthcare providers, clinics, and hospitals that serve the indigent populations of Harris County. If you are considered low-income, unemployed, or homeless, the Harris Health System is the agency to contact if you need medical treatment.
To receive care at a Harris Health System clinic, you will need to apply for the Gold Card or Harris Health Financial Assistance Plan (HHFAP). This healthcare coverage will cover a portion of your medical costs at Harris Health System clinics.
How To Apply For The Houston Homeless Gold Card
To apply for the homeless Gold Card you will need to visit one of the homeless service providers in Houston. Many times that service provider will be a homeless shelter.
Editor’s Note: If you are not homeless you will need to apply for a Harris Health Gold Card by completing an application and delivering it to their the Harris Health Eligibility Center.
When you visit one of these homeless shelters they will help you to apply for the Harris Health homeless Gold Card. Below is a listing of places that you can apply for homeless healthcare services in Houston.
Eligibility Centers Only
These help you to apply for the Houston homeless Gold Card.
- Compass – 1212 Prairie St, Houston, TX 713.229.8319
- Thomas Street Health Center – 2015 Thomas St, Houston TX 77009 713.873.4000. Thomas Street Clinics is a clinic that offers HIV services in Houston.
Open Access Clinics (Homeless healthcare in Houston)
If you are homeless in Houston, you can visit these locations to apply for the homeless Gold Card as well as receive medical and social services. You will need to call each location to learn about eligibility and clinic hours because they both vary.
- Harmony House Respite Care Center – 602 Girard St, Houston, TX 77007, 713.223.8104.
- Jackson Hinds Garden – 607 Thornton St, Houston, TX 77018, 713.634.1050
- Lord of the Streets – 3401 Fannin St, Houston, TX 77004, 713.526.0311
- Open Door Mission – 5803 Harrisburg Blvd, Houston, TX 77011, 713.497.0961
- Outreach Mobile Medical/Dental Clinic – Contact 832.840.1408 to learn more about mobile medical and dental services that are offered.
Houston Homeless Shelters
These homeless shelters in Houston provide medical treatment to the shelter residents. They can also help residents apply for the homeless Gold Card.
- Salvation Army Adult Rehabilitation Center – 2118 Washington Ave, Houston, TX 77077, 713.869.3551
- Salvation Army Family Residence – 1603 McGowen St, Houston, TX 77004, 713.650.6530
- Star of Hope Cornerstone Community – 2527 Reed Rd, Houston, TX 77051, 832.369.3260
- Star of Hope Men’s Development Center – 1811 Ruiz St, Houston, TX 77002, 713.227.8900
For an even larger list of homeless housing options, see our titled Ultimate Guide To Houston Homeless Shelters.
Medical Services Offered Through The Houston Healthcare For The Homeless Program
The Harris Health System helps homeless patients in Houston with a number of services like:
- Primary care
- Help applying for the homeless Gold Card
- HIV/AIDS healthcare in Houston
- Screenings for annual exams, diabetes, high blood pressure, COVID 19, etc.
- Psychiatric services like therapy and psychiatry
- Case management
- Transportation assistance
- Help finding employment
- ID assistance
- Houston housing resources
Even if you are homeless, there are healthcare options for you in the greater Houston area. One healthcare network that you can count on if you need medical treatment is the Harris Health System.
They offer a Healthcare for the Homeless Program that operates out of various Houston homeless shelters and community clinics.
To received subsidized treatment, you will first need to apply for the homeless Gold Card. Refer to the list of clinics above to see which is closest to you and schedule an appointment today.
Similar Articles That May Be Of Interest To You:
- 7 Homeless Healthcare Options In Houston
- How To Apply For The Harris Health Gold Card
- Emergency Gold Card: How To Expedite The Process Of Obtaining Your Gold Card
- 15 Low Cost Houston Medical Clinics That Treat The Uninsured
Nick Bryant is the author of Understanding Healthcare Is Half The Battle and a Senior Counselor with 13+ years of experience working in community health and mental health. He enjoys spending time with his family, watching WWE on Friday nights, and working toward a Google Data Analytics certification. If you have additional questions about community resources or government assistance programs, simply leave a comment below and he will follow up as soon as possible.